Out of This World: The Supernatural in Jewish History and Culture
Advanced Summer School for Graduate Students in Jewish Studies in Philadelphia
Presented by the Herbert D. Katz Center for Advanced Judaic Studies in partnership with the Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School for Advanced Studies in the Humanities, Hebrew University of Jerusalem “Out of This World” is devoted to the magical, the miraculous, and the monstrous in Jewish history and culture. Its subjects include humans gifted with supernatural powers—miracle-workers, magicians, and messianic saviors—as well as superhuman beings like ghosts, golems, and God. The week will range across disciplines, including history, anthropology, literary study, and the study of religion, with the goal of modelling various ways to make sense of supernatural beings and otherworldly interactions as a part of Jewish experience, culture or thought. The week will have a this-worldly focus as well, featuring sessions devoted to professional development and scholarly network building, and other group activities and excursions.
The Summer School brings graduate students together in a small group for an immersive experience in interdisciplinary Jewish studies, exposing them to innovative scholarship, broadening their intellectual perspectives, and allowing them to engage with internationally recognized scholars as well as their peers from around the world. Graduate students at any institution worldwide, in any subfield of Jewish studies, past or present, are eligible to apply. Admission is selective and preference will be given to students at an advanced stage of their graduate careers, and to earlier-stage students whose research interests align closely with the stated theme. The cost of tuition, lodging, excursions, and most meals is covered by the program. Fellowships to cover transportation are available for students who do not have applicable funding from their home institutions.
- Leora Batnitzky, Princeton University
- Maya Barzilai, University of Michigan
- Julia Watts Belser, Georgetown University
- Yoram Bilu, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Gideon Bohak, Tel Aviv University
- Jeremy Dauber, Columbia University
- Shai Held, Mechon Hadar
- Martin Lund, Linnaeus University, Sweden
- Justin McDaniel, University of Pennsylvania
- Robert Orsi, Northwestern University
- Annette Yoshiko Reed, New York University
- David Shyovitz, Northwestern University
- Elsie Stern, Reconstructionist Rabbinical College
- Hamza Zafer, University of Washington
To apply, please visit: katzcenter.fluidreview.com
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.