Scholarships of The Free State of Bavaria for Summer Courses of German Language
BAYHOST is the Bavarian Academic Center for Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe. It promotes academic exchange between Bavaria and countries in Central, Eastern and Southeastern Europe including Russia. BAYHOST supports Bavarian universities and universities of applied science through its specific competencies; by supporting their collaboration with academic organizations in our partner countries and by establishing new partnerships.
As an applicant for a summer school scholarship by the Free State of Bavaria you need to
- hold the citizenship of one of the following countries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia, Ukraine.
- be enrolled as a student or employed as an academic at a institute of higher education in one of the nine eligible countries at the time of the scholarship application.
- provide grades of at least two semesters from an institute of higher education.
- be able to prove German language skills of at least B1-level.
- be of legal age at the time of the application.
- Please note: Applicants who have already received funding in this program are excluded from being funded again.
The following documents are required by the 26th March 2018:
- an online application form that is filled in completely (Please fill in the form which is available here. Afterwards, you receive a copy of the online application form attached as pdf via email. Please add a printout of this pdf to your mail documents as cover sheet of your application.)
- letter of motivation concerning your participation in a German language course in Bavaria (1-2 pages, in German or English)
- a tabular CV in German or English with a recent photo
- proof of all previous exams and grades (i.e. an overview of your grades, e.g. transcript) including a short explanation of the grading system
- proof that you are currently enrolled / employed at a institute of higher education in your home country (i.e. copy of current transcript or student ID / copy of your working contract)
- a photocopy of your passport (for non-EU countries) or ID-card
- proof of German proficiency of at least B1-level (any certificate / letter proving your achieved level of German proficiency)
- Optional: proof of internships, additional qualifications and / or voluntary experiences (These documents are not obligatory, but it would be good to include them if you have such an experience.)
Please do not send the originals of these documents, but copies only. You do not need to have them translated or certified legally.
Advice regarding the online application form
You can find a link to the online application form on website. As part of the application form you will be asked to give information on your CV (Curriculum Vitae), incl. grades and reports. Therefore, you might need relevant documents at hand when filling in the application form. Please note that a good application takes time, so please take the necessary time and peace that is required to complete the application form. It is recommended filling in the application form as completely as possible since it serves as a first evaluation of your application. If you have the relevant documents at hand when filling in the form, it should take you about 20min (working steadily through it) to complete it. After you have fully completed the form and submitted it, you will receive an email confirmation with the online application form attached as pdf. Please note that this may take a few minutes. If you do not receive such an email, this means that university has not received your online-application either.
What costs are covered by the scholarship?
The scholarship covers the costs of the course, accommodation and includes an allowance for food. In 2018 the food allowance is expected to be 16€ per day for all summer courses (except for Eichstätt with 10,66€, because there breakfast is already included in the accommodation). Travel costs, insurance and visa costs will not be reimbursed! Costs for excursions will only be covered, if they were already included in the course fee. Please note that some courses require an accommodation deposit which is not covered by the scholarship. Therefore you should plan taking some own financial means with you. The deposit will be paid back on your departure if there are no complaints (i.e. damages) at the accommodation.
If you receive a scholarship and accept this you are obliged to participate in and be present at the entire language course from beginning to the end. You are as well obliged to take out a health insurance for your stay in Bavaria. Please note that BAYHOST does not assume liability for your stay in Germany. Further, scholarship holders are obliged to send a report on their stay in Bavaria as a Word-Doc via email to BAYHOST by 1st October 2018.
What are the selection criteria?
For the selection the following points are taken into consideration:
- previous academic achievements (i.e. grades, scholarships or prizes, talks at conferences etc.)
- convincing letter of motivation: Why do you learn German and why is a German language course important for you? (i.e. academic or professional reasons)
- how long and how intensively have you been learning German; what proficiency level have you already reached?
- practical experiences (e.g. internships, part-time jobs)
- participation at additional conferences / non-curricular seminars / advanced training courses etc.
- voluntary work and commitments (e.g. student representation, theater group, sports associations, political clubs, NGO, church, social initiatives etc.)
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.