A Collaborative Research Training Programme for Medical Doctors at IRB Barcelona
About IRB Barcelona
IRB Barcelona is a world-class research centre devoted to understanding fundamental questions about human health and disease. It was founded in October 2005 by the Government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya) and the University of Barcelona (UB), and is located at the Barcelona Science Park (Parc Científic de Barcelona). IRB Barcelona forms part of the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology.
The Institute’s missions include conducting multidisciplinary research of excellence at the unique interface between biology, chemistry and medicine, providing high-level training in the biomedical sciences to staff, students and visitors, driving innovation through active technology transfer to the benefit of society, and actively participating in an open dialogue with the public through a series of engagement and education activities.
About the Programme
The health system requires an increasing number of physician-scientists with a deep understanding of research and medicine to ensure that discoveries in fundamental research can reach clinical practice.
During their undergraduate and specialization studies, medical doctors receive some basic training in research. The objective of the PhD4MD Programme is to provide them with advanced hands-on training on the latest fields of research and cutting-edge technologies.
Medical professionals who enroll in the PhD4MD programme will carry out a project in translational research jointly coordinated by a basic and a clinical research investigator, belonging to one of the four participating institutions: the CRG (the Centre for Genomic Regulation together with the National Centre for Genomic Analysis, CNAG), the IRB Barcelona (Institute for Research in Biomedicine), the IDIBAPS (August Pi i Sunyer Institute for Biomedical Research) and the VHIR (Vall d'Hebron Research Institute). Ultimately, the medical professionals enrolled in the program will obtain their PhD title from one of the associated Universities.
- The current call offers 4 PhD positions
- Fellows will be supported for a period of 3 years
Candidates should fulfill the following eligibility criteria at the time of the call deadline. If one or more of the eligibility criteria are not fulfilled, the proposal will be declared ineligible and will be withdrawn from any further consideration:
- Candidates must have obtained a Medical Degree and the Spanish FSE (MIR - Medical Internship or residency) or an officially accredited as equivalent obtained in any EU country between 01/01/2014 and the contract starting date, which should be before 31/10/2018.
- Only MDs (MIR) are eligible. FIR, BIR candidates will not be considered. For calculating the aforementioned term, the following periods will be excluded:
a) Maternity or paternity leave, according to the Social Security General Regime regulations. An extension of 1 year for each daughter/son will be applied.
b) Illness or serious accident leading to medical leave: if such leave lasted more than 3 months.
c) Care of dependents according to Law 39/2006, if such a care period lasted more than 3 months
- Candidates who have already been granted a similar PhD contract (such as “Río Hortega” Contracts) are not eligible.
- Candidates should have previous research experience and a strong commitment to scientific research.
- Candidates must have a solid knowledge of English.
Training and benefits
The successful candidates will benefit from the Training Programmes available at the different institutions, including:
- International scientific environment.
- Advanced research training (training-through research, specific scientific and technology courses and a variety of seminars and conferences with international invited speakers).
- Career development activities.
- Cutting-edge core facilities.
- Student community activities.
- Competitive salary.
- Pre-selection: The pre-selection will be based on the candidate's CV, reference letters and on the research interests. Complete applications will be reviewed within a few weeks after the deadline.
- Oral interviews: During the last week of April (23-27 April 2018), the pre-selected candidates will participate in panel interview process. The 4 top candidates in the final ranking list will be offered a PhD4MD contract.
- Notification of results to candidates: Notification of results to candidates: Offers will be made to the successful candidates shortly after the interview period, and no later than the 4 of May, 2018. Selected candidates will have two weeks to accept the position and should start their fellowships no later than 31 October 2018.
How to Apply
Candidates must register in order to use the online application system.
The online application form requests all of the necessary information for the initial stages of the selection process (General information, Reference letters, Education, coursework, honours, scholarships, prizes and awards, research experience, career breaks and scientific interests)
Applicants should indicate at least one and up to three collaborative projects on which they would like to work on, in order of preference.
Two reference letters will be automatically requested to the referees proposed by the candidate through the online system.
Candidates must ensure that all information is included before the deadline, including the reference letters. Incomplete proposals will not be considered. Once the application is submitted, an acknowledgement of receipt will be automatically sent by email to the applicant. Applicants who would like to receive the information of the call in an alternative format (e.g. large print, Braille, audio or hard copy), or who are unable to apply online should contact by telephone on +34 932 275 400 (ext. 4325).
For more information click "LINK TO ORIGINAL" below.