Franz Werfel Fellowship
OeAD-GmbH/ICM on behalf of and funded by the Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy (BMWFW)
Maximum of 7 new awards per academic year! If the research activity is successful, the grant can, on request, be renewed (total duration 18 months).
Supplementary grant, own funds are required!
1) Monthly grant: 1.150 EUR
2) Monthly mobility allowance: 600 EUR (for scholarship durations longer than 3 months)
3) Accommodation, insurance:
a) It is possible for OeAD scholarship holders to book accommodation (dormitory or apartment) with the OeAD Housing Office. The monthly costs are:
- monthly rent: 220 to 470 EUR (depending on the amenities)
- monthly administrative fee: 18 EUR
b) OeAD scholarship holders need to have health insurance that is accepted by the Austrian authorities for the duration of their stay in Austria. The OeAD can help with taking out such insurance. The monthly costs can vary, at the moment you should calculate 55 to 200 EUR (depending on your age, scholarship category and state of health).
Scholarship holders have to pay the costs for accommodation and insurance themselves.
4) Scholarship holders are exempted from paying tuition fees.
5) Scholarship holders from non-European developing countries will receive a travel costs subsidy of 1.000 EUR maximum upon presentation of original documents. Travel expenses to Austrian representative authorities outside the home country are also refundable.
Applications are only open to university teachers who are primarily occupied with Austrian literature. Those in receipt of a Werfel grant can work as visiting researchers at university departments and carry out specialist studies in libraries, archives or at research institutions.
It is absolutely essential that prior contact with an educational or research institution in Austria has already been made.
There is no age limit.
This grant is intended to support young academics in the early years of their academic career. It does not, first and foremost, focus on lifelong learning.
The following documents have to be uploaded with the online application
- Two letters of recommendation by university lecturers (for these letters of recommendation no specific form is required; they must contain the letterhead, date and signature of the person recommending the applicant and the stamp of the university / department and must be no older than six months at the time of application.)
- Consent of a lecturer at the Austrian target university to supervise the applicant academically
- List of the titles of the courses taught
- Complete list of publications
- Scan of your passport (page with the name and photo)
- Scan of your university graduation certificate of your diploma, master, PhD or doctoral studies
After completion of at least 12 months of research supported by the grant the Franz Werfel scholarship-commission will decide about the admission in the follow-on support programme after consultation with the academic supervisor.
For the follow-on support the following measures are scheduled:
- invitation to the Franz-Werfel-Tagung on an annual basis
- a one-month research grant every three years
- habilitation grant
- publication allowance
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.