RBS-RBMS Diversity Fellowship Program
Rare Book School (RBS) and the Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), a division of the American Library Association (ALA), are pleased to announce a new joint fellowship program, the RBS-RBMS Diversity Fellowships. Two fellowships will be awarded this year to early-career librarians from underrepresented racial or ethnic communities who demonstrate excellent potential for professional achievement. These awards will allow recipients to attend a course at RBS and to increase their professional involvement at the national level through participation in RBMS and attendance at its annual conference, held in New Orleans in June 2018.
During their fellowship tenure, RBS-RBMS fellows will receive intensive, hands-on training at RBS and may pursue further learning and service opportunities as part of RBMS and its annual conference. Through these activities, RBS-RBMS fellows will enter into a professional community of likeminded individuals interested in special collections librarianship. The fellowship program includes the following components:
- one week-long, 30-hour Rare Book School course (contingent upon acceptance into the course by the instructor; admission is competitive)
- one year’s membership in RBMS
- the opportunity to volunteer or intern with one of RBMS’s standing or ad hoc committees
- registration fees for the RBMS conference in New Orleans (June 2018)
- funds covering the cost of travel and housing at RBS and at RBMS
An applicant must be a member of an underserved racial or ethnic group or work in a library that primarily serves such groups. Applicants must also:
- be currently enrolled in an MLIS program; or
- be currently enrolled in another MA program and currently working in a library (including unpaid internships); or
- have received the MA or MLIS within the past 5 years (since October 2012) and be currently working in a library (including unpaid internships)
Applicants must be able to take an RBS course during the year of their fellowship, contingent upon their admission to the course, and will be expected to attend the RBMS conference in June 2018.
The following classes of applicants are ineligible for an RBS-RBMS Fellowship:
- anyone who has previously attended an RBMS conference
- anyone who has attended three or more classes at RBS
- past or present members of RBS’s full-time, year-round staff
To apply, please submit an RBS scholarship/fellowship application by the 1 November deadline. Applicants will be considered for all awards for which they are eligible. Participation in the RBS scholarship/fellowship program implies acceptance of the scholarship Terms and Conditions. To begin the application process, please log into your myRBS account. On the Home screen, click the “Apply for a Scholarship or Fellowship” button on the left side of the page. If you have trouble with myRBS, see the FAQ page or email email@example.com.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: