Applications for the Year 2018 Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program are now being accepted until midnight Central Time on Sunday, November 26, 2017.
The Beckman Institute offers three postdoctoral fellows programs to support outstanding young scientists at the Beckman Institute: the Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program, the Beckman–Brown Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Fellows Program, and the Carle Foundation Hospital–Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program. These programs offer a wonderful opportunity for scholars to engage in a three-year fellowship of interdisciplinary research at the Beckman Institute. Each year, four to six Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows and one Beckman–Brown Interdisciplinary Fellow are selected from a highly competitive pool of applicants. Approximately every three years, one or two Carle Foundation Hospital–Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows are likewise selected.
The Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program was initiated in the fall of 1991 with funding from the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation to recruit outstanding young scientists to work at the Beckman Institute.
The Carle Foundation Hospital–Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellows Program was begun in 2008 with funding from Carle Foundation Hospital to recruit outstanding young scientists to work on translational biomedical research.
The Beckman–Brown Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Fellows Program was initiated in the fall of 2015, when the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation provided an endowment in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Arnold Beckman and the founding director of the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, Dr. Theodore “Ted” Brown.
For all programs, Fellows are selected on the basis of their outstanding achievements to date, professional promise, capacity for independent and interdisciplinary work, and relevance of their research interests to the applicable program. Regarding this latter point:
- Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellow and Beckman–Brown Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Fellow program applicants are sought in all areas of research at the Beckman Institute.
- Carle-Foundation Hospital–Beckman Institute Postdoctoral Fellow Program applicants are sought in a variety of translational biomedical research areas that include, but are not limited to:
- developing imaging systems for the detection and diagnosis of diseases;
- developing biomarkers for better detection and predictions of clinical outcomes;
- neuro-assessment of patients with brain injury for future predictions of clinical outcomes;
- exploring brain elastography and brain diseases such as epilepsy and neurocognitive disorders.
- Ph.D. degree bestowed within the last three years i.e., no earlier than December 2014
- Relevance of the research area to the portfolio of the Beckman Institute
- Evidence in the research plan that at least one faculty mentor/collaborator is a full-time or part-time faculty member at the Beckman Institute.
- Fellows receive an annual stipend of $54,000, reimbursement for health insurance, and a $25,000 research budget that can be spent on research activities such as research supplies, equipment, and conference and workshop travel.
- Fellows are appointed annually for up to three years.
- Fellows are required to write annual reports and to check in monthly with the Beckman Institute Director.