Call for Papers – 3rd ASCN Annual Conference
“Political Transformation and Social Change in the South Caucasus: Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan in Perspective”
21-22 June 2013, Tbilisi – Georgia
The Academic Swiss Caucasus Net (ASCN) is pleased to announce its 3rd Annual ASCN Conference that will take place this year in Tbilisi, Georgia on 21 and 22 June 2013.
Content and Objectives
The conference aims to gather junior scholars and researchers from various disciplines of the social sciences (political science, sociology, anthropology, etc.) involved with the South Caucasus. More specifically, the conference will address the following points of interest:
- It will provide opportunities for researchers vested in Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan to engage, network, exchange and discuss their research projects, papers and findings;
- It will provide a forum for discussion regarding the contradictions and ambivalences of the transformation process in the South Caucasus;
- It will provide a forum for discussion regarding the challenges social science researchers in the South Caucasus are confronted with.
All interested scholars are requested to submit an abstract (no more than 300 words) of their paper together with a short biographical statement (including author, affiliation, postal address, phone number and e-mail address) and a CV (maximum 2 pages). Applicants are requested to mention into which of the proposed topics the abstract would fit. Submissions must be sent no later than 12 February 2013
and to email@example.com
with the following email subject: ASCN Annual Conference 2013.
All documents have to be in English and need to be merged into a single PDF file. The result of the selection process will be announced in the beginning of March 2013
Selected candidates will then be invited to submit full papers (5,000 words) by 3 June 2013.
Venue, Accommodation and Transport
The ASCN programme will cover travel and accommodation expenses for all selected participants. Opportunities for co-financing will arise should the travel costs in individual cases exceed the average expenses per participant attending the conference.
The selected participants will be informed about the programme, the specific conference panels and the format of the paper to submit, as well as organisational details, in due time.
· Application deadline: 12 February 2013
· Selection of abstracts: beginning of March 2013
· Submission of papers: 3 June 2013
· Papers online on conference website: 12 June 2013
· Conference: 21-22 June 2013
ASCN is a programme aimed at promoting the social sciences and humanities in the South Caucasus (primarily Georgia and Armenia). Its different activities foster the emergence of a new generation of talented scholars. Promising junior researchers receive support through research projects, capacity-building trainings and scholarships. The programme emphasizes the advancement of individuals who, thanks to their ASCN experience, become better integrated in international academic networks. The ASCN programme is coordinated and operated by the Interfaculty Institute for Central and Eastern Europe (IICEE) at the University of Fribourg (Switzerland). It is initiated and supported by Gebert Rüf Stiftung.