After four previous successful events since 2012, the Metaphor Lab Amsterdam is delighted to announce a new edition of our summer/winter schools, this time in the fourth week of January 2017—the school is piggybacked on to the LOT Dutch Research School in Linguistics Winter School in the preceding two weeks. Metaphor Lab Schools are meant for PhD students and young post doc researchers who are engaged in metaphor research in language, cognition, communication, and discourse. Our goal is to offer advanced training in metaphor identification and analysis according to internationally recognized standards. 30-40 participants per school come from all over the world and receive an intense academic experience.
The format of this school will differ from previous editions. We will hold four special interest groups, each under the guidance of one specialized tutor, who will do work together including reading, discussion and research in a specific theme. Each group will work on its own and do a final presentation on the Friday. Apart from this, we are looking into the possibility of organizing a number of general plenary lectures during the week, and we will often go out together in the Amsterdam evenings.
The themes and tutors are the following
- MIPVU – Tina Krennmayr/Susan Nacey: focus on linguistic metaphor identification in discourse
- VisMet corpus – Marianna Bolognesi: focus on visual metaphor identification, analysis, and crowd sourced tags
- The five step method – Gerard Steen: focus on linguistic, conceptual and communicative metaphor identification in uttterances
- Metaphor and argumentation – Jean Wagemans: focus on metaphors as implicit arguments and argumentation via metaphor
- Each group will allow for a maximum of 10 students. Detailed goals, contents, methods, and end products will be announced later.
There will be a modest registration fee (200 euros per participant), and travel, accommodation, and food will be at your own expense. We are looking into possibilities for financial aid for applicants with limited resources, upon request.
At this moment we would like you to save the dates, more information will be posted at the end of August.
For more information click "Further officia information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: