Terms and Conditions
1. The David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation (DSWF) is the sole owner of the Wildlife Artist of the Year (WAY) competition.
2. WAY is open worldwide, to amateur and professional artists alike and WAY will not distinguish between them.
3. WAY is open to individual entrants aged 17 years or over, you must be 17 by the closing date.
4. Entry for DSWF members, 17-25yrs and over 60yrs is £10 per entry and for all others £25 per entry. You can become a member at www. davidshepherd.org
5. A maximum of 5 entries per individual are allowed.
6. Entries must be work completed within the last five years by the entrants themselves and must be their own original work. Work completed before 15th February 2012 cannot be entered. The artist must be the sole author and owner of the copyright of all artwork entered, artists using exact reference from another professional artist or photographer will need permission from the copyright owner. Source material and proof of permission to use must be made available on request by the judges. The David Shepherd Wildlife Foundation accepts no liability in the publication of unlawfully reproduced art.
7. ALL ARTWORK ENTERED INTO THE COMPETITION MUST BE UNSOLD - SO AVAILABLE FOR SALE BY DSWF DURING THE EXHIBITION IF SHORTLISTED.
8. The judges will accept any medium, excluding photography. 9. Entries must correspond to one of the seven categories
Animal Behaviour: Showing a real understanding of animal behaviour, a sense of character, maybe something the judges may not have seen before.
Hidden World: A celebration of remote and rarely observed or lesser known landscapes and species.
Into the Blue: Illustrate the wonderful world of water, be it ocean, seashore, wetland, river or stream.
Urban Wildlife: Entries can be in an urban style or depict the city life of animals and plants. Judges will be looking for both originality in the habitat as well as the contrast between wild and urban life. Vanishing Fast: Our vanishing world – it can be any species officially listed as endangered or threatened on the IUCN Red List – or any landscape that is at risk.
Wings, Feathered or Otherwise: The extraordinary variety of winged wildlife – birds and insects, in flight or at rest.
Earth’s Beautiful Creatures: The choice is yours! As in all categories the judges are looking for not only beautifully executed original artworks but also imaginative interpretation, moving away from the purely photographic to compositions with great characterization, showing imagination, originality and genuine creativity.
All categories cover mediums including sculpture and original prints*.
* An original print is a print either in black or in colour, drawn from one or several plates, conceived and executed entirely by hand by the same artist, regardless of the technique employed, with the exclusion of any and all mechanical, digital or photomechanical processes. Every stage has been completed by hand by the artist.
10. An independent panel of judges, to include artists and conservationists, will be chosen by DSWF.
11. The judges’ decision is final.
12. Judging will take place in three stages. Prize giving and exhibition will be at the Mall Galleries, London 26th June - 2nd July 2017.
13. Entries may be submitted from October 2016 until the closing date 20th February 2017. No entries will be considered after the closing date.
14. Sale price will be negotiated with the artist but the final decision will be made by DSWF.
15. Proceeds of the sale of works exhibited at the exhibition are to be split 50/50 for sales made for the duration of the exhibition and for one month after. Thereafter, any sales made as a result of the continued promotion of the piece by DSWF will be split 70% artist and 30% DSWF
16. Proceeds of the sale or artwork not exhibited but displayed in the folder and promoted on the DSWF website are to be split 70% artist and 30% DSWF for as long as that promotion continues.
17. Sale proceeds resulting from commissions taken at the exhibition are to be split 70% artist and 30% DSWF.
18. Copyright will remain with the artist.
19. By entering WAY you agree to grant DSWF a non-exclusive license to reproduce the artwork for any purpose in connection with the competition including publicity, marketing, fundraising and exhibitions.
20. No cash alternative can be offered in lieu of any non-cash prize. Prizes:
Overall Winner £10,000 cash prize & title ‘Wildlife Artist of the Year 2017’ Overall Runner-Up £1,000 cash prize.
Remaining Category Winners £500 each.
21. Entries will be accepted as high res (300dpi) jpegs entered online at www.davidshepherd.org from October 2016 or by post using the postal entry form. For on-line entry please ensure the file size is 2200 pixels
on the smallest side and no larger than 6MB. You must give your file an easily identifiable name – we require that you use your surname followed by the title of the artwork e.g. Smithlions. To enter on-line you must
have your image ready to upload and a credit or debit card to pay the entry fee. If you are entering by post please ensure you have completed and signed the entry form and enclosed your cheque, payable to DSWF, together with your image. We recommend that you send a high res (300dpi) jpeg image - 2200 pixels on its smallest side, on CD.
For 3D entries include as many different angles as possible.
Do not send your original artwork. Photographs will be accepted but will be scanned on receipt which could affect the quality of the reproduction.
22. No other forms of entry will be accepted.
23. No allowance will be made for poor digital images or bad quality photographs.
24. Entries will not be accepted until full payment is made. Entries paid by CHEQUE may take 28 days to clear.
25. All results will be posted on www.davidshepherd.org & www.wildlifeart.org.uk after the prize giving ceremony.
26. Entrants, prize winners and their work may be promoted on the DSWF websites and through other media outlets.
27. All entrants will be notified of the judges’ decision and shortlisted entrants will be required to complete and return an Exhibition Agreement.
28. The competition is not open to DSWF employees or their families.
29. Delivery, collection, shipping costs and insurance are the responsibility of the artist. Artwork not collected within two months of the end of the exhibition will be sold in support of DSWF with 100% going to conservation projects.
30. Liability – all work will be sent to and collected from DSWF and/or the gallery as instructed at the artists expense and risk.
31. Disclaimer – due to its limited charitable resources, DSWF judges and organisers are unable to enter in to any correspondence with individual artists, acknowledge entries, accept original artwork unless requested, return photographs or CD’s or accept liability for damage to work.
32. You accept that we may use an image of your artwork to publicise the charitable work of the Foundation or when approaching commercial organisations to explore potential opportunities for marketing that image for our mutual benefit. If you don’t want us to do this then please let us know. We will never enter into any commercial agreements relating to your artwork without your explicit consent.
33. For further enquiries please contact DSWF on 01483 272323.
When is the closing date?
20th February 2017. Website entry closes at midnight and postal entries must be received by 5pm on 20th February 2017.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: