M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship
The M+ / Design Trust Research Fellowship programme aims to support an original research project investigating issues relating to design and architecture in the Greater Pearl River Delta region, and between the region and other parts of the world. Apart from expanding the current body of knowledge in these areas, it is hoped that the findings from the fellowship will also inform future acquisitions and other programmes at M+.
Applicants should engage in advanced historical research on either a single discipline, such as architecture, graphic design, industrial design and urbanism, or cross-disciplinary developments, taking into consideration the region’s cultural, social, economic and political milieus as well as its international and cross-cultural networks. Although post-1949 topics are preferred, exceptional proposals focusing on issues related to the beginning of the 20th century will also be considered.
The successful applicant will be attached to M+ for three to six months in 2018, conducting independent research, preferably on a full-time basis. The fellow is encouraged to engage in intellectual exchanges with the museum’s curatorial staff and participate in its programmes. While outcomes may vary, the fellowship should at the minimum result in a paper (5,000 words or more) disseminated digitally or in print through M+ and Design Trust’s platforms, as well as a lecture as part of the museum’s public programme.
The following criteria are taken into account when assessing each application:
- Originality in expanding and reinterpreting existing knowledge, or producing new knowledge, of design and architecture in the Greater Pearl River Delta region, within a regional and global context
- Potential for expanding the understanding and scope of the museum’s current and future collections, programming, and curatorial strategies in design and architecture
- Proven ability of the candidate in undertaking advanced research
The fellowship will be awarded on a competitive basis by a committee comprising representatives from M+ and Design Trust. After the initial screening process, shortlisted candidates will be invited to an in-person or remote interview.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to provide:
- A completed application form
- A full curriculum vitae covering education, professional experience, honours, awards, and publications
- Two letters of recommendation (academic or professional), submitted directly from the references
- Three to five pieces of relevant written work, published or unpublished
The deadline for submitting the application is 24 July 2017.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.