Postdoctoral Fellow within European Union public administration
ARENA Centre for European Studies at the University of Oslo (UiO) invites applications for a Postdoctoral Fellow (SKO 1352) within the field of European Union public administration and the study of agencies, as part of the research project "Democracy and Expert Rule: The Quest for Reflexive Legitimacy" (REFLEX).
The appointment is for the duration of three years with no teaching obligations (pliktarbeid). The position's proposed starting date is 1 April 2017.
ARENA is a multidisciplinary research centre at the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Oslo. The centre promotes theoretically oriented, empirically informed studies seeking to analyse the dynamics of the evolving European systems of governance. It is highly renowned for its research on the transformation of Europe, and coordinates and participates in numerous international research projects and networks, mainly funded by European and Norwegian research programmes. Its international staff is conducive to a vibrant and integrated research community, where the working language is English. More information about ARENA is available at www.arena.uio.no
The position forms part of the research project "Democracy and Expert Rule: The Quest for Reflexive Legitimacy" (REFLEX), which is financed by the Research Council of Norway's FRIPRO Toppforsk grant. REFLEX studies expertise in European decision making; how it is practiced and whether it can be justified. REFLEX enquires into the legal, organizational and political parameters for authorizing and holding different depoliticized bodies (agencies) to account. The postdoctoral fellow will be assigned to the empirical tasks of the project. See more information about REFLEX.
The postdoctoral fellow will be part of and collaborate closely with ARENA's research group on the EU's executive order, as well as the group which focuses on European depoliticized decision-making. The announced position is for the duration of three years, fully devoted to research, with no teaching obligations.
The candidate shall be expected to participate in ongoing research at ARENA, aiming at high quality international publications. ARENA is an integrated research centre, and it is therefore presupposed that the candidate takes an active part in the relevant research group and collaborates with other researchers at ARENA. The postdoctoral fellow will be fully integrated in ARENA's research activities and its international networks.
Desired qualifications and personal skills
Candidates must hold a PhD in a relevant discipline within the social sciences or law. Applicants must have submitted their thesis for final and formal evaluation before the application deadline. A prerequisite for taking up the position is the successful completion of a doctoral degree.
Applicants must hold the capacity to carry out independent academic work at a high level, preferably documented through publications in peer-reviewed international journals.
In assessing the applications, particular emphasis will be placed upon the academic credentials of the applicant and suitability for the overall project. Potential candidates will be invited for an interview.
- A starting pay NOK 494 800 – 567 100, depending on level of competence
- Academically stimulating working environment
- Vibrant, integrated and international research community
- Comprehensive administrative support functions for externally funded grants
- Good pension benefits under the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund scheme
- Good welfare benefits
The electronic application should include
- Application letter (max. 2 pages. In the application letter, applicants should describe their qualifications, research experience and research interests, including main theoretical approaches, empirical focus and methodological approach of their work to date, as well as their motivation to take up the post)
- CV including education, academic employment, project experience and other qualifying activity
- Academic transcripts (university degrees only)
- Copy of PhD diploma or documentation of thesis submission
- Two academic publications e.g. published articles, PhD thesis. Please note that there is no separate prompt for uploading such documents in the application portal. These must therefore be uploaded as separate "Attachments".
- A complete list of publications
- Names and contact details of two references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)..
The application and all supporting documents must be in English (copies of academic transcripts in a Scandinavian language will also be accepted).
Please refer to the guidelines concerning appointment to postdoctoral and research posts at the University of Oslo.
The University of Oslo has an Acquisition of Rights Agreement for all employees for the purpose of securing intellectual and property rights to research results etc.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
According to Section 25 of the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant can be published even though the applicant has requested not to be included in the public list of applicants.
To APPLY click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: