Agency - UNDP
Title - Project Assistant
Job ID - 20918
Practice Area - Environment and Energy - NATIONAL ADAPTATION PLAN (NAP) TO ADVANCE MEDIUM AND LONG-TERM ADAPTATION PLANNING IN ARMENIA
Vacancy End Date - (Midnight New York, USA) - 12.02.2019
Duty Station - Yerevan, Armenia
Education & Work Experience - G-Bachelor's Level Degree - 5 year(s) experience
Languages - Armenian E, English
Vacancy Type - Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type - External
Bureau - Europe & the CIS
Contract Duration - 10 months, extendable based on successful performance and funds availability
The project builds on the national climate priorities summarized in the 2015 NDC, and will support the Government of Armenia to advance its medium and long-term adaptation planning. The Green Climate Fund (GCF) resources will be used to enable the government to integrate climate change related risks, coping strategies and opportunities into ongoing development planning and budgeting processes. The Government of Armenia sees the NAP process as a key step to achieving the adaptation objectives of its 2015 Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC).
Currently, there is no comprehensive framework for climate change adaptation in Armenia, though the NDC and the National Communications provide a preliminary assessment of adaptation priorities. To address this gap, the project aims to support Armenia with developing a national plan for climate change adaptation (CCA) that is iterative. The focus of this initiative is on the process and on strengthening foundational capacities to ensure that they are institutionalized for long-term sustainability. The project aims (i) to address the barriers identified during the stocktaking exercise underpinning this proposal, as presented below; (ii) to support the prioritization of adaptation options and investments in six priority sectors; and (iii) to support the identification of financing options for the implementation of the prioritized adaptation options identified throughout this project.
With the development of a NAP process, Armenia will lay the groundwork for the systemic and iterative identification of medium- and long-term climate-induced risks, CCA priorities, and specific activities that promote climate adaptive and resilient growth in its key sectors. Concurrently, as part of the localization of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the NAP process will contribute to the formulation of corresponding national climate-responsive indicators and targets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support for conducting data collection and review, compilation of background materials for use in reporting, discussions and briefing sessions, prepare components of presentations and briefings.
- Provide support to fostering and strengthening partnerships and cooperation with project stakeholders, relevant international organisations, international and local financial institutions, state institutions and CBOs/NGOs.
- Support in planning and follow-up of project awareness raising activities.
- Contribute to preparation of written materials, reports as per the requirements to UNDP, Government and GCF, briefing notes, outcome board materials within the assigned area. Take notes/minutes at meetings and ensure follow up.
- Support the Programme Coordinator and Project Manager in planning, daily implementation and monitoring of annual work plan activities.
- Assist the project experts’ team through information dissemination, technical backstopping, report preparation, translations. Assist in drafting outreach materials, including fact sheets, infographics, information for web-page.
- Support project management during the audits and evaluations.
- Provide support for organization of seminars, press conferences, workshops, advisory board meeting and other public campaign. Draft agendas; prepare leaflets, information note, press releases for media and stakeholders, take notes and draft minutes.
- Maintain records, necessary documents on project activities, communication and transactions. Keep appropriate the filling system.
- Draft correspondence relating to assigned project areas; clarify, follow up, respond to requests for information, ensuring proper communication and information exchange within the Project Team and partners.
- Ensure accurate observance of administrative rules, regulations and procedures within the framework of Project and in line with UNDP SOPs for Recruitment /Procurement /Finance.
- Make all necessary arrangements for procurement/recruitment within the framework of the project. Support in preparation of procurement /recruitment plans, selection notes, expert evaluation documents.
- Make logistical arrangements for missions and expert’s visits, prepare briefing kits and background materials;
- Support with translation of relevant communication, information notes, short reports, etc.
- Maintain updated inventory of the Project’s equipment, e.g. machinery, electrical, furniture, miscellaneous. Participate in Project’s assets physical verification process.
- Assist the Project Manager and Programme Associate in preparation of AWP, draft budget revisions and draft monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for the project;
- Perform other tasks and duties as required.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
Required Skills and Experience
University degree in social sciences, business administration or other related disciplines.
- 5 years of relevant administrative experience is required, preferably with International organizations.
- Prior relevant experience with UNDP implemented projects will be an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers, office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and office equipment; knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems is an asset.
Fluency in Armenian and English, knowledge of Russian is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.