UN VOLUNTEER DESCRIPTION OF ASSIGNMENT
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme is the UN organization that promotes volunteerism to support peace and development worldwide. Volunteerism can transform the pace and nature of development and it benefits both society at large and the individual volunteer. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for volunteerism globally, encouraging partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing volunteers.In most cultures volunteerism is deeply embedded in long-established, ancient traditions of sharing and support within the communities. In this context, UN Volunteers take part in various forms of volunteerism and play a role in development and peace together with co-workers, host agencies and local communities.In all assignments, UN Volunteers promote volunteerism through their action and conduct. Engaging in volunteer activity can effectively and positively enrich their understanding of local and social realities, as well as create a bridge between themselves and the people in their host community. This will make the time they spend as UN Volunteers even more rewarding and productive.
Country of Assignment - Armenia
Host Institute - UN High Commissioner for Refugees Volunteer
Category - National Specialist
Number of Volunteer - 1
Duration Until - 31-12-2019
Expected Starting Date - Immediate
Duty Station - Yerevan [ARM]
Assignment Place Remark - Yerevan is a family duty station
Yerevan is a very safe and quite city. The climate is continental, with hot and dry summers, cold and snowy winters. The city offers a huge variety of restaurants, cafes, clubs, and other possibilities of diversion. Culturally highly active, all over the year one can enjoy on-going programmes of theatre (also international), classic and modern music, ballet, concerts, at everyone’s average. Art expositions are organised quite often, and spring and autumn programmes of international cinema are shown at the National Gallery. Water and electricity are mostly available everywhere in the city, and shops offer all kind of goods (though mostly of local production). Health facilities are good. No need of complicated vaccinations. Diseases with most incidences are normal gastroenteritis, colds, and flues.
Assignment Title - Programme Assistant
Organizational Context & Project Description
The UNHCR office is located in the common UN Building (UN House) in Yerevan. The Office has four units: Management (2 people), Protection (3 people), Programme (3 people), and Administration (3 people). The field-orientation of the office requires close co-operation and responsibility sharing between the different units. The workload and the close co-operation between functional units lead to an increased understanding of the common goals and challenges.
Sustainable Development Goals 17. Partnerships For the Goals
Under the direct supervision of the UNHCR Senior Programme Associate the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Participate in the preparation of draft project documents including sub-agreements, project submissions,revisions and translate project documents as required;
- Work closely with UNHCR Armenia’s implementing partners to assess the needs of vulnerable asylumseekers, refugees and others of concern and identify assistance as required;
- Assist in exploring opportunities for mainstreaming UNHCR’s persons of concern into availble national services; Support the Programme and Protection Units in carrying out community outreach meetings and focused group discussions with the refugee community;
- In coordination with the Programme Associate, conduct regular participatory assessments as part of a multifunctional team using a gender, age and ethnic perspective to fully understand UNHCR Armenia’s population of concern, their protection risk and priorities and the resources available to them;
- In coordination with the Programme Associate, carry out monitoring visits to UNHCR Armenia’s implementing partners to oversee programme implementation and provide inputs for further planning;
- Maintain and update the Programme Unit’s filing system;
- Provide support to Admin/Finance Associate in general office administration;
- Perform other tasks as required.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day)- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country- Provide annual and end of assignment reports on UN Volunteer actions, results and opportunities using UNV’s Volunteer Reporting Application Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN VolunteersPromote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- The UNV is able to prepare draft project documents including sub-agreements, project submissions, revisions;
- The UNV is able to assess the needs of vulnerable asylum-seekers, refugees and others of concern and identify assistance as required;
- The UNV is able to explore opportunities for mainstreaming UNHCR’s persons of concern into available national services;
- The UNV is able to carry out community outreach meetings and focused group discussions with the refugee community;
- The UNV is able to incorporate the specific protection concerns and priorities of UNHCR’s persons of concern in the projects implemented under the operation;
- The UNV is able to monitor UNHCR Armenia’s implementing partners to oversee programme implementation;
The development of capacity through coaching, mentoring and formal on-the-job training, when working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-) governmental counter-parts, including Implementing Partners (IPs); • Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective is systematically applied, integrated and documented in all activities throughout the assignment • A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for peace and development dur-ing the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed
Required Degree Level - Master degree or equivalent
Education - Additional Comments
University education (minimum master’s degree) in sociology, political science, economics, business administration, computer science or other related field;
Required experience - 24 months
At least two years of previous professional work experience in a related fields;
Previous job experience related to refugees and asylum-seekers, or in the human rights field desirable;
- English (Mandatory) , Level - Fluent
- AND - Russian (Mandatory) , Level - Working Knowledge
Area of Expertise
- Protection of refugees, asylum seekers and IDPs Mandatory
- Area of Expertise Requirement
- Excellent drafting skills especially in English are required
- Advanced IT skills (MS Office and People Soft applications, spreadsheet database);, fullest familiarity with EXCEL and ability to quickly familiarize with UNHCR's organizational IT applications serving programme management.
- Ability to work individually and co-participation;
- Initiative, sound judgment and dedication to the United Nations principles.
READ MORE and APPLY HERE.