About the contest
Science for Sustainability
Science will be essential to reach many of the goals of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Sustainable solutions, whether at the global, regional or country level, require creativity, new advances in scientific knowledge, discoveries and innovations. Sustainability science promotes problem driven cross- disciplinary approaches to address interconnected environmental and social issues.
How do I participate?
Five thematic categories are open for photographic submissions:
- Science in everyday life
- Science for Peace and Development
- Biodiversity, Natural Heritage and Wildlife
- Water and Life
- Climate Change
So submit your entries and get a chance to win:
- 1st Prize –US$ 500
- 2nd Prize –US$ 300
- 3rd Prize –US$ 200
- Special Prize – US$ 200 for the most popular photo on social media
1. The contest is open to nationals of the six UNESCO Cluster countries, namely, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
- Photographs must be submitted under the chosen category(s), with your name and residing country
along with a short description of the photo in not more than 30 words. Please mail your entries to:
- To participate for the special prize for the most popular photo on social media:
Like us on Facebook and follow on Twitter.Upload your photo on Facebook or twitter with the hashtag #Science4Sustainability #UNESCONewDelhi. Please make sure that the post is public. The photo with maximum likes and shares either on Facebook or with maximum retweets on twitter shall win this prize.
3. There are no limits on the number of entries that each entrant can submit. The photo can be taken using a mobile phone, camera or any other device. Expenses incurred during submission are to be borne by the entrant.
4. Photos must be taken by the entrant himself or herself. Photos can be colour-corrected or have filters applied, but should not be digitally manipulated in terms of content and context. Please do not include any watermark or borders on your image.
5. UNESCO shall not bear any responsibility for late or lost Entries due to network failure or any other reason.
6. Photographers will retain all copyrights to their images. By submitting their entries, the Entrants accept that these entries may be used by UNESCO as part of its communication tools.
7. Entrants must possess the exclusive rights to entries and are responsible for having obtained any necessary permission from the subjects shown on the entries, in accordance with applicable law.
8. UNESCO reserves the right to modify or cancel the contest or any of the arrangements, schedules, plans or other items directly or indirectly related to the contest, at any time without giving any reason.
9. UNESCO will select the winning Entries on the basis of the following main criteria:
- Originality: Use your imagination and create something unique and memorable
- Effectiveness: Ability of the Entry to effectively convey the message
- Quality: Composition and aesthetics of the photo submitted.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: