UN Women Communications Intern for Social Media Outreach
The Communications Section at UN Women Headquarters in New York seeks to enlist a fulltime intern to support with social media outreach.
The intern will assist the Social Media Manager in drafting messages for Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+, engaging UN Women’s social media audience, pinning photos on Pinterest, and monitoring all social media accounts.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Social Media Manager, the intern will specifically be responsible for the following:
- Drafting messages for @UN_Women, @SayNO_UNiTE (and @ONUMujeres and/or @ONUFemmes, if possible), and facebook.com/unwomen, facebook.com/sayno.unite (and facebook.com/onumujeres and/or facebook.com/onufemmes, if possible):
- Monitor the UN Women website, Flicker and YouTube accounts for new content; draft and schedule posts for Twitter and Facebook in English (and Spanish and/or French, if possible).
- Based on the media clippings, select the most interesting content, prepare draft tweets and schedule them for approval via HootSuite.
- Research additional content on women’s empowerment and gender equality and schedule tweets via HootSuite.
- Research interesting posts from partners and schedule retweets via HootSuite.
- Actively expand the network of followers.
- Maintain lists on Twitter:
On a daily basis, monitor new followers and add them to lists on Twitter.
Prepare weekly update of new VIP followers (influencers/celebrities).
Initiate new lists on Twitter in consultation with the Social Media Manager.
- Cross-post selected Facebook content on Google+ and engage the Google+ community. – 2 –
- Cross-post selected Facebook content on LinkedIn.
- Research strong photos for the UN Women Pinterest account and pin them.
- Monitor social media accounts:
- Monitor mentions for retweeting.
- Monitor the social media accounts for questions, and flag them to the Social Media Manager.
- Monitor the social media accounts for negative comments, and flag them to the Social Media Manager.
- Support the Social Media Manager during Twitter chats.
- Support live tweeting from events.
- Support preparations for social media outreach and implementation for the World Humanitarian Summit, the Women Deliver Conference, relevant International Days and the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence.
- Other tasks as requested by the Communications Team.
- Must be enrolled in the final year of a Bachelor, or in a Masters degree programme, or be a recent graduate.
- Must have valid work permission for the United States of America.
- Fluent in English; Spanish or French are a plus.
- Experience in communications.
- Proficient in using new technologies, web-based platforms and social media networks.
- Familiar with women’s rights issues or international development/relations.
- Self-starter; organized; able to multitask and balance multiple responsibilities.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications asap or by 28 March 2016 latest (might fill sooner) with the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- UN Women Internship Programme Application Form, available here
- Cover letter
- 2 letters of recommendation
Once the candidate has been selected, the following additional documents need to be submitted:
- Letter of enrollment from school or diploma, if recent graduate
- Scanned visa document/scanned passport document if no visa is required
- Scanned medical insurance document
- Signed internship agreement
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: