Aspiring filmmakers, this is your chance to go on assignment to capture Colombia!
This South American stunner’s doors are now open, and we believe that it has more than a few stories to tell. In our 2015 Travel Film Scholarship, we’re looking for one adventurous documentary filmmaker to capture the culture and the communities of Colombia’s Pacific Coast.
Boasting more than its fair share of white-sand beaches, lush jungles and cloud forested mountain ranges, Colombia is a filmmaker’s dream. However, it’s beauty is matched by history, culture and people no less interesting or colourful.
- 1. By "18+ years of age", would this be "18 before the deadline" or "18 before the actual trip"?
- You do need to be 18 at the time of the application deadline (before September 7, 2015).
- 2. Am I considered a professional filmmaker?
This is a grey area, and very tricky to put measures around. We appreciate that the filmmaking and presenting industries are difficult to break into and there are a lucky few who can count themselves as professional full time filmmakers or presenters.
This scholarship is very much about the mentorship opportunity, and the judging panel will be selecting the person or team who they feel will most benefit from the learning opportunity. So if you have already been commissioned to make films (in any genre) or have had your work broadcast on numerous occasions, it is unlikely you will be selected.
You will be asked to outline your experience to date in the submission process, and it will be the judging panel who decides who is most suitable based on their video and written component. So whilst we are not stipulating exactly what does and does not constitute a professional, think about the spirit of the mentorship program and whether you think you would make the most ideal candidate(s).
- 3. I speak very little English. Will this be a problem?
- English does not have to be your first language, but you do need to have conversational English for this scholarship. In order for you to get the most of the mentorship you will need to be able to understand and converse with your mentor, Brian, on the trip.
- 4. I am Colombian. Can I apply for this scholarship?
- Yes, of course Colombians are eligible too!