Calling all creative writers - The Sunderland Short Story Award
The University of Sunderland is looking for the best short stories as part of its inaugural Short Story Award. Surprise us, challenge us, be brave and experimental. The theme is completely open, making it the perfect place to showcase your talent!
Running as part of the Sunderland Literature and Creative Writing Festival, the Award is split into two age categories; 11-16 (where the word limit is 1500 words) and Adults (2500).
New and experienced writers are welcome, and amazing cash prizes are on offer for both categories - £500 for the winning adult and £200 for the winning 11-16 year-old.
But that's not all:
Shortlisted work from the Adult section will be read by literary agent Susan Yearwood and publisher Unthank Books, where outstanding work may be considered for publication in Unthank's Unthology Series, so where could your imagination take you?
Winners from the 11-16 section will see their work published in the local Waterstones.
Entry for 11-16s is free, a small charge of £3 is required for adults, and you can submit your work from Monday January 25 2016.
The deadline is Wednesday June 1 2016, and all work must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, together with the payment receipt, if applicable.
Visit the University's Online Store for more information and details on how to pay.
Good luck with your entry!
Sunderland Short Story Award - rules
• You must be 17 and over to submit to the Adult category and between 11 and 16 (inclusive) to submit to the 11-16 category.
• Work must be original and your own material – it must not have been published in any form previously, including on a personal blog, or scheduled for future publication.
• Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but do notify us if work is accepted elsewhere. Your entry fee will not be returned.
• All work must include a cover page with the title and your name. However, work will be read and judged anonymously so please do not include your name elsewhere in the document. Please include the title as a header throughout the rest of the document.
• All stories must be sent as .doc attachments or in hard copy, stating your reference for payment.
• The decisions of the judges are final and there will be no feedback unless your work is shortlisted.
• Adults: 1st prize: £500, 2nd prize: £125, 3rd prize: £75 In addition to the prize money, all shortlisted entries will be read by London agent Susan Yearwood and publisher Unthank Books. Outstanding work may be considered for Unthank’s Unthology Series.
• 11-16: 1st prize: £200, 2nd prize: £75, 3rd prize: £30 Winning entries will be published in a small pamphlet with non-profit copies available in the local Waterstones.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: