Since 1998, the China Folklore Photographic Association (CFPA) has launched a call to photographers all over the world to document folklore phenomenon extensively and in depth. To this end, CFPA founded HPA, blessed with UNESCO’s support and is granted with its logo since the 2nd HPA. HPA gets held biennially and HPA 2017 is the latest session, short for the 10th Humanity Photo Awards.
HPA 2017 will call for entries from 16 September 2016, proceeded as a full-online photo contest. Therefore, our official English website of HPA will be vital for you to remember and conduct necessary actions there. You can find all the previous & current HPA relevant information as your reference on the website, including schedule, guidelines and submission, etc.
From Sep 16, 2016-April 15, 2017, participants can select, submit and edit their entries in a 7-month time. Throughout the HPA contests in the past, there were photographers from 162 different countries and regions, who have documented 178 cultural subjects around the world. We were hoping that no matter where you are from or no matter what you will submit, your work could set a new record of the HPA's figure.
If going through the previous award-winning entries on the website, you can tell that sharing folk cultures with photo stories is always the key of Humanity Photo Awards, HPA 2017 is no exception. You would also understand what and how to share your story by viewing more than 2,000 previous winning entries as well.
- Entries are required to be submitted online via the official website. Please click on “Submission", sign up and submit photos on the entry page in accordance with relevant requirements. All information is required to be written in Chinese or English only.
- The entrant’s name on the entry form should be the same as that on his/her valid identification/passport. Any other preferred name such as “professional name” or “pen name” will not be allowed. If entrants would like to have a preferred name on the certificate, please apply 30 days before the awards ceremony, send a formal declaration letter according to the organizers' requirements, and pay the cost of production.
- The photos must be taken by the entrant himself/herself, otherwise the entrant will be deprived of the right to win the award in the contest.
- Photos entered jointly by two or more than two entrants will not be accepted.
- All entrants will be deemed to have accepted the Guidelines of HPA 2017. Any legal responsibility relating to entries, such as copyright, right of reputation and portrait, right of privacy, right of trade mark, etc. will be borne by the entrants.
- The contest is open to everyone except the members of jury and the staff of HPA 2017 work team.
There are no restrictions on entrants in terms of profession, gender, age, nationality, country or region.
- Entries that have won prizes in the previous HPA contests are excluded from HPA 2017; prize-winning entries in other contests or exhibitions are eligible for HPA 2017.
- There is no limit on shooting time. Entries can be taken on one occasion or over a period of time.
- The category of the submitted photos must be specified by the entrants. The organizers and judges are not responsible for re-categorizing any entry.
- Each entry must consist of a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 14 photos. Each entrant is allowed to submit no more than 3 entries.
- Photos must be uploaded with jpg format, size between 1MB and 4MB.
- Only the necessary retouching which will not change the original appearance of the photo is allowed. All photos are prohibited from synthesis, addition, deletion or major changes in color. Photos with frames, special backgrounds or other decorative effects will not be accepted. To keep the authenticity of the record, composite, splicing and trick photos will not be judged.
- Each entry must be attached to a literal interpretation of the actual content in English.
Declaration of the Organizers
- No entry fee is required for this contest.
- To guarantee the fairness of HPA 2017, personal information of the entrants should not be shown on the photo or in the caption. Otherwise, the entry will not be judged.
- With the guarantee of use of the name of entrants, the organizers reserve the right to repeatedly use entries in related non-commercial activities for free, including publications, exhibitions, TV programs, Internet displays, electronic media, etc. The Organizers also reserve the right to do any necessary editing of the entries.
- Photos must be received by midnight, April 15th, 2017 (Beijing time) via the website mentioned above. (The date when the photos of an entry set are completely submitted is deemed as its submission date.)
- CFPA reserves the right of final interpretation of the Guidelines of HPA 2017.
The China Folklore Photographic Association (CFPA)
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: