About the Summer School
Serious gaming is an exciting new development in the business environment, thrust into the public eye by rapid progress in the world of IT. Game design involves applying knowledge from the modelled domain to a mode and manner of representation that can alter a player’s knowledge, attitude or behaviour with regard to the domain. The Serious Game Design course equips you with a theory-driven play-centric approach. You will develop, play and validate a serious game in groups. In addition to acquiring and applying game design knowledge and domain knowledge through learning by doing, you will experience the agile project management aspects of the design process, with two-day sprints combined with peer student sprint reviews every two days.
- Scrum and Ideation
- Business Modeling
- Play (999 games) (by Guido Bruinsma)
- Serious Gaming (by Guido Bruinsma)
- Game Design (by Jan Willem Huisman)
- Outside Play (by Guido Bruinsma)
- Behavior Change (by Guido Bruinsma)
- Dark Side of Gaming
- Playtest (by Guido Bruinsma)
- Mechanics and Dynamics
- Tame your Game
- Presentation of your Game
For further information or questions please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
After participating in this course you will be able to:
- apply game design methodologies
- apply game mechanics
- apply the SCRUM project management methodology
- provide structured feedback
- work in multidisciplinary teams
- present projects at poster presentations
You will also have detailed knowledge of:
- types of serious games and their applications
- the game design process
- game mechanics
- game validation and evaluation
and more general knowledge of the roles, procedures and workflow of SCRUM.
- Methods: Design Lab project
- Course level: Beginner’s/Intermediate
- Target group: Students in their second or third Bachelor’s year or entry level Master’s students with an interest in serious gaming.
- Required knowledge: Creative inspiration
- Course leader: Prof. Dr. Jos Hillegersberg
- Credits: no ECs
- Mix & Match: Not possible. If you take the Serious Gaming course you cannot attend other summer school courses simultaneously.
To attend the summer school, you pay a standard fee of €750. This includes:
- A tent to sleep in
- Course materials
For those not comfortable sleeping in a tent for a week, we offer different accommodations for additional costs.
Not included in the fee are personal expenses like travel costs (plane ticket, train ticket, etc.), travel insurance and other expenses, as well as accommodation other than a tent.
We offer several accommodation upgrades, including a log cabin and a hotel. A tent (including air mattress and sleeping bag) is included in the standard fee. Read more details about the accommodation options.
Please check the International Office of your University if scholarships are available.
CONTACT AND QUESTIONS
The application deadline is 1 August. However, we encourage students to apply as early as possible as some courses may fill up before the application deadline.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: