About the Summer School
In this multi-disciplinary course on leadership we zoom in on the hybrid role of healthcare professionals who are also (frontline) managers. The course is rooted in the healthcare sector but takes an organizational sociological perspective. We address the following 5 topics in a 20 weeks blended online Master course; 1. Introduction on Leadership in Healthcare 2. Dealing with Hybrid roles in Healthcare Management 3. The influence of Professional Habitus on Healthcare Leadership 4. Healthcare organizations: different logics in one building 5. Healthcare leadership in action: Failing and Learning. Are your ready for the next step in your career?
Healthcare organizations are difficult to manage. Different logics and value systems are at play. Leadership and management is of importance when aiming on ensuring high quality patient care, employee satisfaction and overall organizational effectiveness. This is particularly so for frontline managers; they are the key interface between care, cure and managerial control as they are “close to the action”.
Despite an impressive amount of research in the field of healthcare leadership and management there are to date only a few studies examining leadership in terms of its practices related to the professional habitus of these health professionals, in the context of everyday work. In this course we will try and bridge this gap by working with you on your own professional development as a leader and in making the next step in your career in healthcare.
After completion of this course you will be able to:
• Make the next step in your career in healthcare leadership.
• Contribute to enhancing quality of care and patient safety in your healthcare organization.
• Understand the added value of a both clinically and managerial strong healthcare leader.
• Use and explain the basic terminology and principles used in management and leadership (research) in healthcare.
• Differentiate between several research methods, like shadowing or diary method, of the Managerial Work and Behavior approach and use them in several small field studies
• Explain the concepts of habitus, hybrid management, institutional logics and issues concerning managerial work in action
• Characterize and describe the daily work of a manager in the organizations you work in.
• Read and elaborate on managerial and leadership research related to healthcare organizations
• Discuss and reflect on the experiences of shadowing with fellow students
• € 1295 - Course + course materials + housing
• € 765 - Course + course materials (for UU-students)
• € 765 - Course + course materials (for HU-students)
If you are interested in this course but are not able to join us in Utrecht in the last week of August you can choose to only follow the online track starting in September. Visit the Elevate website for more information.
Will you attend a course on Healthcare or Life Science? As a student of Utrecht Summer School, you'll receive a 30% discount on all courses of Elevate Health, the online academy founded by Utrecht University and University Medical Center Utrecht. Elevate offers a broad curriculum of interactive online courses in the field of medical and veterinary sciences. After confirmation and payment of your Summer School course, you'll automatically receive your personal discount code to enroll in your Elevate course. Please visit the Elevate website to see the complete course overview.
Utrecht Summer School doesn't offer scholarships for this course.
Pieterbas Lalleman MA BSN
Phone: 0031 610512726