Student Start-Up Loan
From 1 January 2016, the Student Start-up Loan will replace the Student Start-up Scholarship and will be available to new student payment recipients (Youth Allowance (student), Austudy or ABSTUDY Living Allowance) undertaking higher education. It will be a voluntary income contingent loan which students will be able to apply for to help with the costs of study.
Application opening date: 1 January 2016
Application closing date: 1 December 2016
Method of application:
- Current Centrelink customers can apply for a Student Start-up Loan using their Centrelink online account through myGov.
- New Centrelink claimants can apply for the Student Start-up Loan as part of their online claim for Abstudy or Youth Allowance.
The Student Start-up Loan is $1025 for each six months of eligible study (a total of $2050 per annum). This amount is indexed each year.
Student Start-Up Scholarship
Students who previously received a Student Start-up Scholarship prior to 1 January 2016 and remained continuously on student payments (Youth Allowance (student), Austudy or ABSTUDY Living Allowance) will continue to receive the Student Start-up Scholarship as a grant until coming off student payments. They will not be required to repay any part of it.
For more information:
- Contact a Centrelink Office
- Visit the Centrelink website
- StudyAssist - Student Start-up Loan update
- Department of Human Services