NIKON’S SMALL WORLD IN MOTION
The Nikon International Small World Competition first began in 1975 as a means to recognize and applaud the efforts of those involved with photography through the light microscope. Since then, Small World has become a leading showcase for photomicrographers from the widest array of scientific disciplines.
In 2011, Nikon announced that it would begin accepting movies taken through the microscope as a new category in the 37th annual Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition. The introduction of this new category, titled Small World in Motion, encompasses any movie or digital time-lapse photography taken through the microscope and adds a new, distinct discipline to the competition. The movies are judged and honored as a separate category in the competition, complete with prizes for first, second and third places.
The subject matter is unrestricted and any type of light microscopy technique is acceptable, including phase contrast, polarized light, fluorescence, interference contrast, darkfield, confocal, deconvolution, and mixed techniques. Entries submitted to Nikon are then judged by an independent panel of experts who are recognized authorities in the area of photomicrography and photography. These entries are judged on the basis of originality, informational content, technical proficiency and visual impact.
Winners will receive one of three prizes, sorted according to rank in the competition. First prize is $3,000 toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
Nikon’s MicroscopyU, is an educational forum for all aspects of optical microscopy, digital imaging, and photomicrography. Together with the scientists and programmers at Molecular Expressions, Nikon microscopists and engineers are providing the latest state-of-the-art information in microscope optics and imaging technology including specialized techniques such as fluorescence, differential interference contrast (DIC), phase contrast, reflected light microscopy, and microscopy of living cells.
6.Entries will be judged on:
- Informational Content
- Technical Proficiency
- Visual Impact
7. Entries must be received no later than April 30, 2017 to be eligible for prizes.
8. Please send all correspondence to Nikon’s Small World Competition, Nikon Instruments Inc., 1300 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY 11747-3064 USA or email firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Prizewinners will be notified by August 15, 2017.
10. The decision of Nikon’s panel of judges will be final.
11. All files will be retained by Nikon Instruments Inc., and cannot be returned.
12. If your entry is selected by Nikon as a winning movie, you will give non-exclusive rights to Nikon to use your name and the movie in connection with the competition. You also certify that you hold the rights to grant such permission. Winning movies will only be used in connection with the Nikon Small World Competition and accompanying publicity and will include appropriate photo credits.
13. Contestants will be notified regarding usage should Nikon be approached with any commercial opportunities related to a submitted movie or movies.
14. All reasonable care will be taken in handling digital files, but Nikon Instruments Inc. will not assume any responsibility for their loss or damage.
15. Offer void where prohibited.
16. Taxes, if any, on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prizewinner.
17. Failure to comply with and accept all of the preceding rules will disqualify any entry.
To APPLY click "Further official information" below and fill the online form.