Call for Six Doctoral Student Positions with Scholarship at Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan, Poland
The European Research Council (ERC) sponsored project entitled "Narrative Modes of Historical Discourse in Asia" (NAMO) has the pleasure to announce up to six doctoral positions for a period of three years to commence on August 1st 2016 and finish on July 31st 2019. The hosting institution is one of the leading Polish universities, Adam Mickiewicz University (AMU), located in the Western part of Poland, Poznan.
Project NAMO is looking for six capable candidates who hold MA degree and have expertise relating to one of the following fields of Oriental or Asian studies:
1. Classical Indology,
2. Classical Sinology,
3. Modern Indology,
4. Modern Sinology,
5. Classical Tibetology, or
6. Classical or Modern Indo-Iranian studies.
The Principal Investigator (PI) of the project, Associate Professor Dr. Ulrich Timme Kragh, will serve as the main supervisor for all the students. Additionally, each doctoral student will be assigned an academic advisor who specializes in the candidate's respective field of study.
Candidates' Qualifications and Tasks
Given the very advanced character of the project, the candidates are expected to possess a high level of qualification for research work in the pertinent disciplines. The foremost requirement of all six candidates is thorough knowledge of the relevant indigenous language, while theoretical predilections are indispensable. The candidates should have a wide variety of study skills and a natural inclination for research and academic writing. Each candidate must be fluent in the pertinent Asian language, speak and write in English which is the working language of the project, be familiar with relevant secondary
languages, and be fond of working in an international setting.
The successful candidate must complete writing of her or his doctoral dissertation within the three-year period, must complete and submit one academic article, and will be required to travel, attend relevant seminars, and present papers at
international conferences. S/he will be expected to collaborate with specialists within her or his own field, and be willing to get involved with the work of the whole team and its objectives. Most importantly, applicants must show ability to theorize and think analytically. Methodological skills are a must.
Persons interested in applying must send the following documents in one copy and in the following order:
1. COVER LETTER in English, describing in detail how the candidate feels s/he can contribute to the project through her or his academic experience and knowledge, what methodological and theoretical skills s/he possesses, listing all the languages s/he fluently reads, speaks, or writes in, as well as what pertinent literature s/he studied in those languages, the letter must begin with an opening statement expressing a formal request to be enrolled as a doctoral student at the Faculty of Modern Languages and Literature at Adam Mickiewicz University addressed to the Head of Doctoral Studies,
2. CV in English, outlining in ascending order her or his academic career,
3. BA and MA DIPLOMAS, must be in original certified copy and in certified English translation,
4. BA and MA GRADE TRANSCRIPTS, must be in original certified copy and in certified English translation, furnished with an explanation of the relevant grading system according to the American grading system,
5. MA THESIS, must be in original language and in English translation when applicable,
6. PUBLISHED ARTICLES and MAJOR PAPERS, must be in original language and in English translation when applicable, written on the graduate level,
7. THREE LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION in English, preferably including one letter from the Thesis advisor, one from a member of her or his Thesis committee, and one from a professor who influenced her or his critical thinking the most,
8. GENERAL HEALTH CHECK-UP STATEMENT, must be in English certified copy, showing
that the candidate is physically fit to undertake the proposed study,
9. PHOTOS, two color photos in standard passport size,
10. PASSPORT, certified copy in original language, including the pages with photo, passport number, and the place and date of its issue and expiry,
11. HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA, in original certified copy and in certified English translation,
12. VALID EMAIL and SKYPE ADDRESS, very important since the communication between the candidate and the selection committee will be conducted over email and skype,
13. OTHER, in case the candidate wishes to present other relevant documentation to the selection committee, such as proof of English language proficiency.
Only fully complete applications will be taken up for the selection process. The most qualified candidates will be invited for an interview.