2017 Simons Postdoctoral Fellowships in Marine Microbial Ecology
The Simons Foundation invites applications for postdoctoral fellowships to support research on fundamental problems in marine microbial ecology. The foundation is particularly interested in applicants with training in different fields who want to apply their experience to understanding the role of microorganisms in shaping ocean processes and vice versa, as well as applicants with experience in modeling or theory development. While these cross-disciplinary applicants will receive particular attention, applicants already involved in ocean research are also encouraged to apply. The foundation anticipates awarding five fellowships in 2017.
Applicants must have received their Ph.D. or equivalent degree within two years of the fellowship’s start date. Preference will be for applicants with no more than one year of postdoctoral experience. Applicants may be citizens of any country. Awards can only be issued to nonprofit research universities or research institutions in the U.S.
The award is for three years, contingent upon satisfactory annual progress reports, and will include an annual stipend of $62,000, an annual allowance of up to $10,000 for health insurance for the fellow and family and an annual research allowance of $10,000 for the fellow. Any unexpended health insurance funds must be returned to the Simons Foundation. The research allowance may be used for research supplies, small equipment (including computers), attendance at scientific meetings and other research-related travel. Up to $2,000 of the research allowance may be used for relocation of the fellow and family to the host institution. Relocation costs must be in accordance with the policies of the host institution. Payment cannot be made directly to fellows.
Applications must include:
- Short summary of prior research experience and a personal autobiographical statement (two pages)
- Brief research proposal with title (two to three pages, plus references and one page for figures)
- Biosketches of the applicant and sponsor, including publications
- Technical abstract
- Letters of recommendation from applicant’s thesis advisor and two additional research scientists, and letter of support from the postdoctoral research sponsor, who must acknowledge acceptance of the applicant to his or her laboratory. Confidential letters must be submitted through proposalCENTRAL (see instructions) by June 15, 2017.
- Budget (three years)
- Brief budget justification
- Renewable reagents and data-sharing plan
- Signed signature page with institutional approval to document the commitment from the fellow’s institution(s) to administer the fellowship
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: