The Centre for Research, agricultural Advancement, Teaching Excellence and Sustainability in Food and Nutritional Security (CREATES), hosted by the School of Life Sciences and Bioengineering at the Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) has opened its PhD positions for suitable candidates to apply for specialties in the four CREATES main streams, namely; Sustainable Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Sciences, Biodiversity Conservation and Ecosystem Management, and Global Health and Biomedical Sciences. This newly established African Centre of Excellence, CREATES, is aimed at students who are gifted, passionate, creative and free thinkers, innovative, and who will be job-creators rather than job-seekers in the future. CREATES provides experiential teaching, a buzzing atmosphere of international and interdisciplinary research and
education activities, novel technologies and private-public partnerships with the industry and the community at large as well as hands-on learning experience and evidence-based problem solving projects. CREATES encompasses novel curricula approaches, cutting-edge research facilities and highly skilled national, regional and international supervisors in various fields of Life Sciences. CREATES encompasses four main streams, i.e., “Sustainable Agriculture”, “Food and Nutrition
Sciences”, “Biodiversity Conservation and Ecosystem Management” as well as “Global Health and Biomedical Sciences”, which involves aspects of drug development and Nanoscience.
Applicants for these PhD positions should have the following qualifications, knowledge and essential attributes
• Have a MSc degree in Life Sciences or relevant discipline.
• The MSc degree should be recognized by NM-AIST senate and Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU).
• Be able to draft and submit a research proposal concept note with the application documents (including a title, brief introduction, methodology and expected results), showing that they are capable of carrying out original research in the relevant field.
• Be below the age of 38 at application date – females must be max 40 years old at the time of application.
• Be able to publish scientifically in high impact peer reviewed international journals (and preferably already have such a publication).
• Have interest in the above teaching and research approach and be able to work independently and in a team.
• Have excellent English oral and writing skills.
• Be willing to specialize in one of the four CREATES pillars.
• Have a high degree of computer competence and familiarity with modern statistical software.
• Have the ability to work in multi-disciplinary and international teams.
• Be self-motivated and be able to work under pressure to meet deadlines when required.
• Females and regional candidates are strongly and highly encouraged to apply
• Applicants must meet and fulfill minimum NM-AIST admission requirement to be considered for scholarship including filling application form and payment of application fees.
• Applicants with NM-AIST provisional/admission letters and meeting call requirement are not subjected to fill application for admission. They are required to attach their provisional/admission letter together with other required documents
Details of the position
The PhD scholarship programme will run for three years starting in January 2017. All students will receive a partial scholarship over this time frame. A full scholarship will be issued depending on scientific and academic achievements and social background.
Mode of application
• Applicants are required to provide their Curriculum Vitae (CV)
• A one-page abstract of their MSc thesis
• Two recommendation letters, one from their latest employer and the other from previous supervisor / educator
• Certified copies of academic certificates. All applicants holding foreign qualifications must have their qualifications validated and equated by the respective regulatory bodies before being allowed for admissions as follows:
oThe Tanzania Commission for Universities in respect of University Qualification Framework (UQF) Level 6 to 9 qualifications
oThe National Council for Technical Education in respect of NTA Level 6 to 9 qualifications
o The Vocational Education and Training Authority in respect of certificates in vocational education and training
oThe National Examination Council of Tanzania in respect of certificates secondary education and teacher education.
• Any publications they might have achieved
• A max. 2-page motivation letter why they think they should be selected for this CREATES programme
• A 3-page concept note on a proposed research topic including a title, brief introduction, methodology and expected results
• Successful candidates will be required to attend an oral interview
Deadline for this application is November 18th 2016 and interviews will be held in the week from Nov 21st 2016 onwards. Recruitment will be in January 2017. All application documents should be sent electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more official information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: