Russian Studies MA program at the University of Colorado-Boulder, USA

Publish Date: Jan 29, 2016

Deadline: Feb 08, 2016

The MA in Russian Studies combines intensive, advanced study of the Russian language with cultural literacy, based upon historical and theoretical analysis of cultural and socio-political developments in Russia. The faculty’s interdisciplinary strengths include literature, cinema, folklore, literary/ cultural theory, cultural studies, gender studies, sociolinguistics, pedagogy, Jewish Studies, minority studies, and nationalism. The faculty works closely with students to design their own course of study. Some Russian MA students receive a teaching assistantship and tuition waiver. For contact information and more general information on the MA in Russian Studies, please email

Russian MA Application Info

Please contact the Graduate Program Assistant if you need any assistance with the application or have any questions about the application process:  Karen Hawley,, (303) 492-3529.

Applications for the MA in Russian should be submitted online and should contain the materials listed below:

  • Application fee
  • Personal Statement (1-2 pages)
  • Transcripts (unofficial transcripts should be uploaded to the online application.  This includes community colleges, summer sessions, study abroad programs, and extension programs).*
  • Three letters of recommendation (You will enter your recommenders’ contact information into the online application system. Once you submit your application, emails will go out to your recommenders asking them to upload a letter of recommendation to your application.)
  • Research Paper**
  • GRE scores*** (International students are exempt from the GRE exam)
  • TOEFL (required for international students):
  • Teaching Assistantship application***

Deadline for completed applications for fall admission is February 1.*****

*For review and decision purposes you are required to upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) in the online application. Graduate Admissions requires one copy of the scanned transcript from each undergraduate and graduate institution that you attended. This includes community colleges, summer sessions, study abroad programs, and extension programs. While credits from one institution may appear on the transcript of a second institution, unofficial transcripts must be submitted from each institution, regardless of the length of attendance, and whether or not courses were completed.  Failure to list and submit transcripts from all institutions previously attended is considered to be a violation of academic ethics and may result in the cancellation of your admission or dismissal from the university.  If you are admitted and accept, you will then need to provide official transcripts from each university attended. Official transcripts should be emailed directly from the university to or sent to the address below

**It is recommended that applicants submit a sample research paper of no more than 30 pages in length. The paper may be in English or Russian, and applicants should submit what they consider to be their best piece of academic writing. The paper serves not as a language evaluation, but as a sample of the applicant’s critical thinking ability, so in most cases applicants whose native language is English should submit a paper in English.

***It is strongly recommended that you take the GRE examination, especially if you are considering applying for a Teaching Assistantship or if you would like to be considered for competitive university fellowships. (International students are exempt from the GRE exam.)  For information about the GRE exam dates and locations, visit their website:

****Teaching Assistantships are available on a competitive basis for qualified students pursuing full-time graduate studies. Teaching assistants normally teach recitations for a Russian literature/culture course.  Each full-time teaching assistant receives a tuition waiver for up to eighteen credit hours each semester. Renewal of the assistantship is not automatic. GSLL prides itself on excellent teaching and expects no less from its Teaching Assistants; however, every graduate student must remember that his/her primary responsibility is to do the best possible work toward the degree. Applicants interesting in applying for a Teaching Assistantship should fill out GSLL's Teaching Assistantship application.  (Please print off application and email to, fax to (303) 492-5376, or mail to GSLL, 276 UCB, Boulder, CO  80309.)

*****The deadline for completed applications for fall admission is February 1. Late applications and applications for spring admission may be accepted, with permission of the Graduate Associate Chair.  Please contact the Graduate Program Assistant or Graduate Associate Chair with inquires about late applications. All applications should be submitted online. Supporting materials should be submitted to CU's Graduate Admissions department.

Supporting materials for domestic applications should be sent to:

Graduate Admissions
University of Colorado at Boulder
3100 Marine Street, Rm A122
553 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0553

Supporting materials for international applications should be sent to:

Graduate Admissions/International
University of Colorado at Boulder
3100 Marine Street, Rm A122
65 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0065

If you have any questions, you may contact us at or by phone (303) 492-3529 or you can contact the Graduate Associate Chair, Laura Olson Osterman,

The University of Colorado at Boulder is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, creed, religion or veteran status.

Note to current students who have an official transcript hold on their registration: during the first semester of your studies at CU, you will need to submit any missing official transcripts on your record (to see what is missing, go to MyCUInfo, click on the "To Do" box on the right hand side).  If your university will send official transcripts, have the university send the transcripts directly to admissions (addresses above).  If your university does not send out official transcripts, bring your original transcript to Admissions (first floor of Regent Hall), and have them make an official copy for Graduate Admissions (make sure they give you back your official transcript).

This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here:

Similar Opportunities


Russian Studies

Study Levels


Eligible Countries


Host Countries

United States