Restoring the human rights of rightless. Slavery and human trafficking today, January 18-February 8, 2017, AUA, Yerevan, Armenia
We live in times when most of the groundbreaking inventions have been made to free people‘s mind and offer opportunities for creative work and prosperity. Our times are also known by the unprecedented developments in human rights law, providing people with strong protection mechanisms and institutions to support it. Irrespective of these important processes there are more than 21,5 million people today in slavery according to International Labor Organization and this is still tip of the iceberg. The phenomena is global and leaves no country immune. In diversity of it’s forms slavery and human trafficking are critical challenge that modern world faces today. So slavery has not been abolished as it seemed; it transformed from legal economic system to illegal, private criminal system.
This hands-on course provides an exceptional opportunity to gain practical skills and knowledge on different forms of slavery, forced labor, servitude, forced marriages, religious and cultural practices that are defined as slavery , trafficking in humans that transforms depending on the market demands.
The course addresses phenomena from human rights perspective and provides with local and international legal tools, existing institutional bodies and mechanisms, practices and skills to identify, refer and protect. The course is based on practical examples, slides, materials from more than 40 countries the author conducted work. It provides analyses of social and economic structures as well as discriminatory cultural and religious practices that advance these processes.
Start Date: January 18
End Date: February 8
Duration: 4 weeks, 2 hours per session, 8 hours in total
Schedule: 5PM - 7PM every Wednesday
- Wednesday, Jan 18
- Wednesday, Jan 25
- Wednesday, Feb 1
- Wednesday, Feb 8
Fee: 33,000 for the entire course
Language of instruction: English
About the trainer: Gulnara Shainian is an international expert on slavery, human trafficking and gender. She has been elected as first UN Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of slavery it’s in 2008 -2014. For her work he has been awarded by the Government s and NGO community. Prior to that has been elected as member of board of trustees on UN Trust Fund on contemporary forms of slavery and chair of UN Expert groups. She has been working as consultant with many international organizations: OSCE, ABA CEELI, UNODC, UNISEF UNDP, EU, COE, IOM. Has numerous publications on child and women’s rights and slavery. Has prepared numerous researches and publications on trafficking. In 2005 has been elected to act as Deputy President to CATEH , Council of Europe’s expert body to develop Europe Convention on actions against trafficking in humans , later was vice President of monitoring body of the Convention , currently serves as expert to GRETA – monitoring body of COE Convention on actions against trafficking in humans. She is founder and chair of NGO “Democracy Today “in Armenia.
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Extension courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, choose the Extension tab, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.