Research Travel Grants to the United States
Terra Foundation Research Travel Grants provide support for research on topics concerning American art and visual culture prior to 1980. These grants enable scholars outside the United States to consult resources that are only available within the United States. Grant funding is available for short-term travel that gives scholars:
- An opportunity to discover new source material;
- Experience works of art first-hand in museums and private collections;
- Make contact with scholars, artists, curators, and art dealers;
- Consult local archives and library collections;
- Establish professional networks for future research.
Information about Funding
Nine to thirteen grants are awarded annually as follows:
- Up to $6,000 per grant for doctoral students from Europe, North America, Australia, and New Zealand;
- Up to $7,000 per grant for doctoral students from Asia, Africa, and South America; and
- Up to $9,000 per grant for all postdoctoral and senior scholars.
- Up to 5 grants are specifically dedicated to scholars from Asia, Africa, and South America.
Grant funds will be disbursed in two installments. The first installment (80% of the total grant) is paid before the recipient’s departure to the United States. The second installment (up to 20% of the total grant) is paid to the recipient after receipt of the final report.
Funds can be used for related transportation, lodging, meals, and research fees and expenses. They cannot be used for the purchase of computers or other equipment.