Enter the Contest
From September 8 to October 8, 2016, we are collaborating with VII Photo Agency - an international photo agency representing 19 of the world’s preeminent photojournalists - to raise awareness on critical social justice issues affecting communities across the globe today.
How to participate
Snap and caption (50-100 words) a photo that illuminates the most pressing social issue of our time for a chance to win one two-hour portfolio consultation and critique with VII Co-Founder and Canon Masters Ambassador Gary Knight, plus three CreativeLive classes!
Snap a photo that illuminates the most pressing social issue of our time.
Share and caption the photo on Instagram using the hashtag
Tag and follow the Open Hands Initiative (@openhandsinitiative) and VII Photo (@VIIPhoto) on Instagram.
Below is a general summary of the Contest Official Rules. For the full list of Official Rules, please click here.
- No purchase or any payment of any kind necessary to enter or win. You must be at least 18 years old to be eligible to participate and win a prize in this Contest. Void where prohibited.
- Eligibility: Open only to individuals who have agreed to these “Official Rules” (See in the "Further official information" link below this article.)
- Contest Entry Window: Contest opens at 12:01 a.m. EDT on 8 September 2016 and closes at 11:59 p.m. EDT on 8 October 2016.
- How to Enter: To enter, during the Entry Window, entrants must snap a photo (or use an existing photo) on the theme "social justice" (see below for description); upload the photo to Instagram; caption the photo in 50 to 100 words; tag and/or mention the Open Hands Initiative and VII Photo; and use the hashtag #LensOnSocialJustice. Entrants must also subscribe to the Open Hands Initiative newsletter.
- Prize & Selection: One winner will be selected based on the quality of the imagery, visual storytelling, and story told in the caption. The winner will receive one one-hour portfolio consultation and one one-hour critique (for a total of two hours), conducted remotely, with VII Photo Co-Founder and Canon Masters Ambassador Gary Knight; and three Creativelive classes, listed above. The prize cannot be exchanged for a monetary value.
*Social Justice is based on the concepts of human rights and equality and promotes a just society by challenging systems, institutions, policies, and rules that impede or inhibit the realization of these rights, guaranteed to all peoples and individuals, regardless of class, race, gender, citizenship, religion, physical abilities, sexual orientation, etc. Social Justice includes, and is not limited to, the promotion of diversity, multiculturalism, and freedom of expression of self and creativity; health equity; media and democracy, good governance, etc.
For more information click "Further official information" below.