FRI would like to inform everyone who wishes to apply for a Computer and Information Science PhD programme in the 2015/2016 academic year that the call for applications is now open for five PhD Student-Assistant positions. The call for applications includes:
- Tuition fees for PhD study (3.450 € per academic year);
- A monthly salary of between 800 € and 1000 € net, depending on the candidate's performance.
The call for applications provides funding for up to 4 years (3 years of study and an additional year).
The subject of the call for applications: Five PhD Student-Assistant positions.
In addition to regular coursework required for the doctoral study programme, the obligations of PhD Students-Assistants also include 30 hours per week of participation in the supervisor’s research lab as well as drafting and correcting coursework and exams, and consulting the students for 10 hours per week.
By carrying out these obligations, PhD Students-Assistants will cover the cost of their tuition fees (3.450 € per academic year) and receive a monthly salary, which will depend on their academic performance.
For students enrolling in Year 1, the monthly salary will depend on the GPA from their last level of studies (for Slovenian students the pre-reform or 2nd cycle master's studies, for foreign students the GPA is calculated using the ECTS rating scale for conversion), and is the following:
- 1,000 € net for students with an average grade above 9,5;
- 900 € net for students with an average grade between 9 and 9,5;
- 800 € net for students with an average grade under 9.
For students enrolling in Year 2, the monthly salary will depend on their completed requirements in Year 1 of doctoral studies, and is the following:
- 1,000 € net for students who achieved an average grade above 9,5 and completed all study requirements (60 ECTS);
- 900 € net for students who achieved an average grade above 9 and completed study requirements worth 50 ECTS or more;
- 800 € net for all other students who have completed the requirements to progress into Year 2.
For students enrolling in Year 3, the monthly salary will depend on their completed requirements from previous years of doctoral studies, and is the following:
- 1,000 € net for students who achieved an average grade above 9,5 and completed all study requirements (120 ECTS in total), have an approved doctoral dissertation topic and have submitted an article for publication in a scientific journal;
- 900 € net for students who achieved an average grade above 9, have completed all requirements (120 ECTS in total) and have an approved dissertation topic;
- 800 € net for all other students who have completed the obligations to progress into Year 3.
The monthly salary for the additional year, Year 4, is the following:
- For the additional Year 4, the salary is the same as for Year 3, provided that the student has regularly progressed through all three years of study;
- For students who repeat a year (they can either enrol in an additional year of study or repeat a year, so that the total length of study does not exceed four years), the salary is 800 € net;
- For students who complete their doctoral studies in three years (they receive they PhD before the end of Year 4), the Faculty will give them a salary of 1000 € net in Year 4, with the possibility to conduct three months of research work abroad at a top foreign institution.
The calculated salary will be considered by the Committee for research work and doctoral study and may be changed by considering also the performance of the PhD Student in the pedagogical work and the participation in other activities at the faculty.
FRI wishes to acquire and maintain good collaborators who already have the potential to be good assistant, associate and full professors. FRI could employ some of the PhD Students-Assistants in Year 4 or those who complete their PhD as Assistants for the period of one or two years. The selection of candidates will be based on the assessment of their research work and potential, their teaching work, their participation at foreign institutions and with foreign researchers, and their enthusiasm for promoting computer science and other activities, relevant to the development of the Faculty. FRI will also enable the selected Assistants a longer leave of absence for further training abroad and preparation for the title of Assistant Professor.
The call is open for candidates of Slovenian nationality or foreign students who are applying for the Computer and Information Science doctoral programme at the Faculty of Computer and Information Science in the 2015/2016 academic year, and who fulfil all enrolment requirements as stated in the call for applications.
The application can also be submitted by candidates who do not meet all enrolment requirements at the time of applying. They should enclose a statement declaring that they will complete these requirements before the actual enrolment, which is 20 September 2015.
For candidates - foreign nationals, the official deadline for applications is 15 May 2015, due to procedures related to recognition of education and residency permits. If foreign candidates are late with applications, they can also apply until 28 August 2015, but we would like to stress the importance of completing all formalities in time.
For candidates – Slovenian nationals, the deadline for application is 28 August 2015.
Candidates could be invited for an interview (conducted in person or via videoconference) within 14 days after the process of receiving applications is completed. They will be notified of the decision within 7 days after the interview or no later than 21 days after the process of receiving applications is completed. Selected candidates will begin work on 1 October 2015.
The selected candidates will sign a one-year contract, which will be extended by up to three years (four years altogether), if the candidate successfully progresses into the next year of study and receives a positive evaluation of his/her work by the supervisor. PhD Students-Assistants are expected to complete their doctoral studies in four years.
How to apply:
To apply, fill out the online application form or send it to the following address:
Univerza v Ljubljani
Fakulteta za računalništvo in informatiko
Večna pot 113
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: