Eligibility for Admission
The admissions to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, abbreviated as PhD, are invited from all over Pakistan. Eligible foreign students are admitted subject to a valid visa and NOC from HEC.
Admission to PhD programme is made on competitive basis. The minimum period for completion of PhD programme is three years whereas maximum period shall be seven years.
- To be eligible for admission to PhD, a candidate shall possess an MS/ MPhil degree or its equivalent in a relevant subject from a recognized university with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 (Semester System) or First Division (Annual System).
- The PhD student prior to admission must qualify with at least 60% score in NTS GAT Subject Test or should have scored International GRE Subject test with 60% percentile (except foreign students).
- A college or university teacher or a member of the research staff of a research organization who holds an MA / MSc degree but has shown undoubted promise for research may also be considered for admission to PhD. However, the candidate would have to complete the course work of 24 credit hours for MPhil / MS level as a prerequisite for moving into the PhD programme.
- All the admitted students in PhD programme of the University need to complete 18 credit-hours course work. The course work shall be based on at least 12-credit hours of class work teaching (regular courses) and up to a maximum of 6 credit hours of seminar.
- For a PhD student who does not hold an MPhil or equivalent degree, the course work requirement shall be of 42 (24+18) credit hours. The course work shall be based on at least 36-credit hours of class work teaching (regular courses) and up to a maximum of 6-credit hours of seminar.
- For the students registered in PhD programme of Faculty of Biological Sciences and Natural Sciences, a paper published in W category shall be accepted whereas the students registered in PhD programme of Faculty of Social Sciences, a paper published in W, X or Y category shall be accepted.
(a) After successful completion of two semesters, a student registered for MPhil degree may be transferred, on the recommendations of the Admissions Committee of the department to the Research Board, to the PhD programme, provided with the student has passed all the 24 credits of the MPhil course work, obtaining an aggregate of 75% marks or more. The time spent by the candidate in the MPhil course work may be counted towards the residence requirement for PhD programme.
(b) A student may convert PhD candidature subject to the following conditions:
- that the student requesting for conversion does not possess an MPhil degree.
- that the student has satisfactory performance in the PhD course work.
- that the conversion is recommended by the Departmental Admission Committee and is routed through the Dean.
In case of re-admitted to PhD programme of the University:
- then the admission is subject to the payment of outstanding dues.
- if the candidate has passed the course work and comprehensive examinations within five years prior to the cancellation of the admission, full credit may be allowed for course work and comprehensive examination. In case of re-admission to PhD programme a span of five years from the date of passing course work and comprehensive examination, the Departmental Admission Committee may determine the course(s) to be re-done as well as its recommendations about the comprehensive examination.
- if the candidate had spent the minimum period of three years as a PhD student, he/she may be allowed to submit the thesis after six months from the date of re-admission.