Eligibility for Admission
The admissions to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, abbreviated as PhD, are invited from all over Pakistan. Eligible foreign students are admitted subject to a valid visa and NOC from HEC.
Admission to PhD programme is made on competitive basis. The minimum period for completion of PhD programme is three years whereas maximum period shall be seven years.
- To be eligible for admission to PhD, a candidate shall possess an MS/ MPhil degree or its equivalent in a relevant subject from a recognized university with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 (Semester System) or First Division (Annual System).
- The PhD student prior to admission must qualify with at least 60% score in NTS GAT Subject Test or should have scored International GRE Subject test with 60% percentile (except foreign students).
- A college or university teacher or a member of the research staff of a research organization who holds an MA / MSc degree but has shown undoubted promise for research may also be considered for admission to PhD. However, the candidate would have to complete the course work of 24 credit hours for MPhil / MS level as a prerequisite for moving into the PhD programme.
- All the admitted students in PhD programme of the University need to complete 18 credit-hours course work. The course work shall be based on at least 12-credit hours of class work teaching (regular courses) and up to a maximum of 6 credit hours of seminar.
- For a PhD student who does not hold an MPhil or equivalent degree, the course work requirement shall be of 42 (24+18) credit hours. The course work shall be based on at least 36-credit hours of class work teaching (regular courses) and up to a maximum of 6-credit hours of seminar.
- For the students registered in PhD programme of Faculty of Biological Sciences and Natural Sciences, a paper published in W category shall be accepted whereas the students registered in PhD programme of Faculty of Social Sciences, a paper published in W, X or Y category shall be accepted.
Procedure for Admission
(a) A candidate seeking admission to PhD programme shall apply on the prescribed form when advertised.
(b) Students applying for admission are required to submit a copy of synopsis/research work. Admission is subject to the availability of the Supervisor in the field of research and HEC’s requirements.
(c) The application shall be submitted to the chairperson of the department/school/institute/centre where the student wishes to pursue the studies.
(d) All applications received in the department shall be periodically considered by the departmental admission committee constituted by the Vice-Chancellor.
(e) The admission committee, when satisfied, shall recommend to Advanced Studies and Research Board the candidates who are found eligible and suitable for admission to PhD programme.
(f) The admission shall be approved by the Advanced Studies & Research Board.
(g) A notification of registration/admission letter for each candidate approved for admission to PhD programme shall be issued by the University.
(h) Each student so selected shall be required to register and pay the dues within 30 days from the date of issuance of the notification of registration/admission letter.
(i) In case of in-service students, No Objection Certificate from the employer is required to be attached with Admission Form and routed through Proper Channel or they can submit the same by the end of first semester, failing which their admission shall be cancelled.
(j) Short listed candidates will be called for interview/ presentation of research proposals.
(k) A student can do more than one PhD but not simultaneously even at different universities.
(l) Every student at the time of admission to this University shall give an affidavit to the effect that he/she is not pursuing degree programme studies in any other institution.
(m) A student cannot be awarded two PhDs on the same research material/document.
(n) A student after taking a migration certificate from the QAU cannot pursue PhD unless he/she re-migrates back to this University.
(a) After successful completion of two semesters, a student registered for MPhil degree may be transferred, on the recommendations of the Admissions Committee of the department to the Research Board, to the PhD programme, provided with the student has passed all the 24 credits of the MPhil course work, obtaining an aggregate of 75% marks or more. The time spent by the candidate in the MPhil course work may be counted towards the residence requirement for PhD programme.
(b) A student may convert PhD candidature subject to the following conditions:
- that the student requesting for conversion does not possess an MPhil degree.
- that the student has satisfactory performance in the PhD course work.
- that the conversion is recommended by the Departmental Admission Committee and is routed through the Dean.
In case of re-admitted to PhD programme of the University:
- then the admission is subject to the payment of outstanding dues.
- if the candidate has passed the course work and comprehensive examinations within five years prior to the cancellation of the admission, full credit may be allowed for course work and comprehensive examination. In case of re-admission to PhD programme a span of five years from the date of passing course work and comprehensive examination, the Departmental Admission Committee may determine the course(s) to be re-done as well as its recommendations about the comprehensive examination.
- if the candidate had spent the minimum period of three years as a PhD student, he/she may be allowed to submit the thesis after six months from the date of re-admission.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: