Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is pleased to announce its paid Internship Program. Interns gain practical work experience and support the work of our Communications, Development, Program, Human Resources (both for the field and the office), and Executive departments. Interns also gain a basic introduction to the field of international medical humanitarian aid and advocacy. All internships will take place in our New York office and will be paid at the rate of $10.00 per hour.
- This is a competitive program. Candidates will be selected on a merit basis.
- Due to high volume of applications, only successful candidates will be contacted after the application deadline.
- Internship applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates may apply for more than one term, but will only be contacted regarding the most current term.
- International candidates are responsible for securing their U.S. work permit. If your CV indicates that you are not based in New York, please make sure to explicitly note in your cover letter that you will be available to move to New York City for the duration of the internship, if applicable.
- All candidates are responsible for their own accommodation (and relocation, if applicable) in New York City. If your CV indicates that you are not based in New York, please make sure to explicitly note in your cover letter that you will be available to move to New York City for the duration of the internship, if applicable.
- No calls or e-mails please regarding application status.
In addition to paid internships, Doctors Without Borders participates in work/study programs for those who qualify.
Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months–4 months (depending on term)
Location: New York City
Objective: To support the Medical/Surgical Epidemiologist of Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), while learning about humanitarian medical operations research and development for an international nongovernmental organization.
Overview: The Medical/Surgical Epidemiologist is the representative of Epicentre at MSF-USA. She works with MSF’s medical and operational teams on the planning, organizing, implementation, analysis, and follow up of epidemiological studies and operations research. The dossier of projects focus on the epidemiology and operations research portfolios as it relates to trauma and surgical patients as well as pediatrics and antibiotic resistance. The portfolio also includes research and development partnerships to assist in bringing innovative solutions to the field.
The Epi Intern will work with the Medical/Surgical Epidemiologist on several ongoing and planned research projects including both pre-study literature reviews to post-study data analysis. Additionally the intern will assist in the development of field research and development partnerships and implementation of field research. An upper class undergraduate student, graduate student or medical student with interest in clinical field medical research, epidemiology, and humanitarian medicine would best suit this position.
- Assist with further development and tracking of research and development project.
- Perform literature reviews on various topics as it relates to current/future projects.
- Entry and double entry of medical data and aggregated data into research databases.
- Assist in preparation of standard operating procedures and study protocols.
- Basic analysis of operations research/epidemiological data.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word,
- Proficiency in medical literature searches,
- Good understanding of scientific/medical peer-reviewed literature,
- Excellent research and writing skills,
- Strong interest in operations research/epidemiology and humanitarian medicine,
- Basic analytic skills using software packages (ie Stata, R, SAS, EpiInfo, ect).
- Experience in clinical research or operations research,
- Background knowledge of data analysis and epidemiology,
- Expertise and interest in humanitarian medicine and operations research,
- Experience in design thinking,
- Experience using software tools like RedCap, Stata, R, EpiInfo.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: