The Nikon Photo Contest International has been held by Nikon Corporation since 1969 to provide an opportunity for photographers around the world to communicate and to enrich image-making culture for professionals and amateurs alike.
In the last 10 years, with the wide penetration of digital cameras with video capabilities, the environment surrounding image-making has dramatically changed. Adapting to this change, the 34th contest was reconceived, changing its name and its structure, and it continues to evolve to create new standards and provide new opportunities for discovery.
The contest is open to all, professional and amateur, regardless of age, gender or nationality.
- Entrants under 18 years of age require the permission of a parent or guardian. By entering the contest, entrants under 18 years of age indicate that they have obtained the permission of a parent or guardian.
- The contest is not open to employees of Nikon (the "organizer") or its subsidiaries or affiliates.
- Entry is limited to original works that have not formerly been displayed or exhibited and to which the entrant holds all applicable rights.
- Works that have won prizes in other contests or that have been submitted to other contests currently underway, including similar works, are not eligible. Works that are entered in other competitions after submitting to this contest will be deemed as those having been submitted to other contests currently underway.
- Entrants can submit to both photography and video.
- The limit for submitted works is 10 photos, including those forming photo stories, and 1 video. Entries can be submitted to multiple categories so long as the total number of entries is within this limit.
- Works that are identical or similar to another submitted work (the "identical or similar works"*1), as well as works including identical or similar works submitted as separate works, are ineligible for submission.
- Image data files created with any digital device including smartphones, digital still cameras (including medium and large-format cameras).
- Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. Retouched photography using a camera app or photo editing app is also accepted.
- Both color and monochrome images will be accepted.
- File size: up to 20 MB of image data per work
- File format: JPEG/150 dpi recommended
- The standard color space for the judging process is sRGB.
Note: Winners may be requested to provide higher resolution images for publication or display purposes related to the contest.
- A video work comprising video footage and/or still images with a length of 6 to 180 seconds.
- Any video-recording device may be used.
- 360° videos are restricted to edited works that do not rely upon a 360° video playback device or application for viewing.
- File size: up to 400 MB of video data at the time of submission per work. File format: MOV or MP4.
- Any music used must either be copyright-free and performed and recorded by the entrant or a person designated by the entrant or be works for which the entrant holds the copyright and for which the copyright has not been transferred to a copyright collective or other body.
How to Enter
Enter the contest by providing the required information in the entry form on this official website by clicking "Further Official Information" below the announcement. This form will become available on the first date entries are accepted (Monday, October 17, 2016).