Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study Individual Fellowships
NIAS Individual Fellowships are awarded to senior scholars to carry out advanced research in the humanities and the social sciences. Fellows have at least three years of post-PhD degree academic experience and have already made a considerable contribution to their field.
NIAS Fellowships are funded directly by NIAS through the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW).
Fellowships are by application only and suit scholars from the Netherlands or scholars from abroad who wish to work on an individual project for one semester or two semesters at the Institute.
- A NIAS fellowship awarded to a scholar from abroad includes subsidised accommodation (see also "What NIAS Offers"), lunches, a personal study, research facilities, one international return ticket.
- NIAS fellowships for scholars from the Netherlands include fixed commuting allowance, lunches, a personal study and research facilities (in special circumstances subsidized studio accommodation may be requested).
- A NIAS Fellow affiliated with a Dutch university is entitled to a replacement subsidy for teaching duties.
- A NIAS Fellow from outside the Netherlands can in some cases be entitled to a stipend.
Please take into account that Fellows are expected to participate actively in academic and social events, and be present at the institute on a daily basis.
NIAS only offers a limited number of NIAS Fellowships each year and the competition is fierce (about 10% of all applications succeed). Please note that applications by former NIAS Fellows and scholars at the end of their career will be given low priority.
NIAS does not provide fellowships for training programmes or educational purposes. Nor does it offer courses, or financial support to conduct research elsewhere.
NIAS identifies high and low quality applications with the help of the external reviewers’ reports. The final decision on which applicants to invite for a NIAS Fellowship is made by the rector. The aim is to form a diverse but coherent research group that consists of fellows from different disciplinary backgrounds, seniority, gender and geographical origin.
For questions regarding NIAS Individual Fellowships please contact NIAS Nick den Hollander: +31 (0) 70 5122711 Nick.den.Hollander@nias.knaw.nl
Application forms should be sent by e-mail to: Application@nias.knaw.nl
A complete application consists of:
- a completed application form
- a research proposal describing the work that you propose to carry out at NIAS (maximum 1500 words, references excluded).
- a curriculum vitae (max. 1 page)
- a list of (major) publications of the last 5 years in refereed journals/books (max. 1 page)
- two publications (articles or books, in pdf) in support of the application. (Books in support of the application may also be sent by regular mail. Please address to NIAS, Academic Affairs, Meijboomlaan 1, 2242 PR Wassenaar, The Netherlands)
For applicants affiliated to a non-Dutch university:
6. it is advised (but not compulsory) to attach a letter in support of the application by an internationally known scholar from a university or research institute in the Netherlands.
Application Forms will only be accepted in Word Format.
If you do not receive an automatic acknowledgement of receipt please contact NIAS at Application@nias.knaw.nl or Nick den Hollander (Head of Academic Affairs) firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only NIAS Fellowship applications that meet the eligibility criteria will be taken into consideration. You will be notified by e-mail if your application fulfils the eligibility criteria and has been sent on for external review. You will be given an indication of when to expect the outcome of the selection procedure.
Please note, that the number of scholars expressing interest always exceeds the places available.
All information supplied will be treated with utmost confidentiality and used only by the Scholarship Committee, selected External Referees, and the Rector.
For questions, read the FAQ or contact Nick den Hollander (Head of Academic Affairs) +31 (0) 70 5122711 or email@example.com.