The Miami-Dade Police Department (MDPD) Student Internship Program (SIP) is designed to enhance the academic studies of college students through the observation of police activities. Students are assigned to various entities during the duration of their internship at MDPD. Candidates will have an opportunity to work with sworn officers and support staff doing real police work with the best equipment and technology the field has to offer, in a major metropolitan environment.
Students are exposed to all aspects of a fully- accredited, multi-faceted, crime-fighting policing agency, against the backdrop of the Atlantic Ocean and some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. Upon successful completion of the course, selected interns walk away with a diverse and unique experience they take with them into many different careers.
The SIP runs for 16-weeks during the Fall and Spring terms, and 12 weeks during the Summer. Selected interns must work full-time, Monday through Friday, 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, with MDPD, each week of the Program. Daily schedules vary and could be either a day shift or an afternoon shift.
General Internship Requirements
An applicant must be:
- Interested in a career in Criminal Justice
- Highly-motivated and ready to broaden their understanding of real police work
- At least 18 years old
- If an undergraduate, at least in the third or fourth year or any graduate student at an accredited college or university
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in their major, and minimum 2.7 GPA overall
- Recommended by their faculty advisor
Registration / Application / General Information
- We are now accepting applications for the Spring 2017 semester.
- The Spring 2017 semester application deadline is November 7, 2016.
- The Spring 2017 semester will be from Monday, January 9, 2017, through Friday, April 28, 2017.
- The Program is full-time (40 hours each week)
Download APPLICATION FORM.
For more information click "Further official information" below.