Scholarship: a fee waiver, a monthly stipend (100 000 KZT) for Kazakhstani citizens, and free accommodation on campus (if needed)
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences(SHSS) at Nazarbayev University is accepting applications for an exciting Master of Arts in Political Science and International Relations (MAPSIR) degree program that is designed to train the next generation of highly qualified political scientists and government experts to meet national and global challenges. Launched in 2014, it currently has 11 graduate students. The strategic partner of the SHSS is the University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA). Its social science program ranks as one of the top 20 in the world.
About the Program
• The first world-class graduate level political science and international relations program in Kazakhstan
• 2-year funded all-English MA program (100 ECTS credits)
• Taught by internationally recognized faculty drawn from North America, Europe, Africa, and Asia
• Advised and actively supported by the partnership with the University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
• Focus on international relations, comparative politics, and Eurasian politics and societies
• Advanced academic training for pursuing careers in government, international organizations, academia, or other fields related to governance and policy
• Study in Astana, at the heart of Eurasia, with unparalleled access to government agencies, international organizations and foreign diplomats
• Housing on campus (based on need) with modern facilities, labs, library and sports center and a monthly stipend of 100,000 KZT for Kazakhstani citizens
• Awards “Master of Arts in Political Science and International Relations” degree
MAPSIR is ideal for students who intend to pursue careers in government, academia, or other fields related to governance and policy. MAPSIR graduates go on to work for national and local governments, international organizations, and firms that interact with government agencies. The degree will also offer excellent training to students who wish to pursue further graduate work at the Ph.D. level. Only graduates with at least 240 ECTS credits (equivalent to a four-year undergraduate program or a three-year undergraduate program plus a one-year Graduate Diploma) are eligible for admission to the graduate program.
All students will receive a fee waiver, a monthly stipend (100 000 KZT ~ 538 United States Dollar (USD) ) for Kazakhstani citizens, and if needed free accommodation on campus..
Every applicant to the M.A. in Political Science program is required to submit an application package online in English (or notarized English translation) by the deadline of April 13, 2015 (inclusive).
The application package should include the following:
1. Three confidential letters of recommendation from individuals who are able to comment on the abilities of the applicant in an academic or professional setting and are familiar with his/her achievements and future aspirations.
2. A personal essay giving the reasons for seeking an M.A in Political Science and International Relations at Nazarbayev University.
3. One essay in English with thoughtful answers in response to the essay questions provided in the application form
4. Notarized copy (-ies) of Bachelor's (or its equivalent) and/or other degree diplomas with transcript(s); Applicants who obtained Bachelor’s (or its equivalent) and/or other degree diplomas from foreign educational institutions must request their official transcript(s) to be sent to Graduate Admissions Department directly.
5. English language proficiency test reports (academic IELTS or TOEFL) valid as of the commencement of the M.A. in Political Science and International Relations program for applicants whose native language is not English as determined by the Admissions Committee. The minimum score requirements for each exam are as follows:
TOEFL paper-based test score – 600;
TOEFL internet-based test score – 100 (with a minimum 21 in each);
IELTS test score – 7.0 (with no score below 6.0 in any element)
or evidence of native competence.
6. Valid GRE Test Report (General Test) (preferable);
7. Notarized copy of the applicant’s identity card or passport;
8. Resume/curriculum vitae.
9. Completed application form. The online application form is available
The Final Deadline for submitting applications is Monday 13 April 2015 (inclusive)
Successful candidates will be notified by email by 1 July 2015 at the latest
Please send your questions to the
Office of School of Humanities and Social Sciences at the Nazarbayev University by email at
or by tel at +7 (7172) 70-6638.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: