Announcement of call for application from German artists
Goethe-Institut Madrid in co-production with Madrid’s City Council and Fundación Banco Santander, is organising an open call seeking one German artist who shall develop a project in collaboration with students and teachers from municipal schools in the city of Madrid as part of the third edition of the Levadura artist-educator residency project.
This call is published for the 2016/2017 school year, and it is aimed to a German artist who is interested in developing a project with municipal primary school students and their teachers:
1. Aim of the call for applications
This call for applications seeks a German artist to undertake a residency in Madrid and be part of a contemporary creative arts and/or research project in partnership with Matadero Madrid, Goethe-Institut Madrid and with one or several state-funded and charter schools in the Madrid municipal area, to be selected by public competition.
The aim of Levadura. A programme of residencies for creative artists-educators is to carry out a pilot programme to introduce digital culture concepts and methodologies with a particular focus on citizen participation into the educational curriculum of primary school students, putting them in direct contact with artists and researchers who are working today.
We are looking for innovative projects that understand that children can play an active role in their own education. We will not accept projects in which pupils only carry out manual work or that involve reinterpreting great works in the History of Art. Projects should demonstrate the processes behind contemporary creation and empower pupils and their teachers as cultural creators/producers instead of giving them the role of passive spectator.
This call for applications is open to all individuals – artists and/or researchers – currently in practice, with German nationality or who are resident or whose practice is based mainly in Germany, and whose track record provides evidence that this is the case.
This call for applications understands an artist/ creative artist-educator to be anyone whose main professional activity entails working on projects in which education – in its broadest sense – plays a major part in their creative process.
The artist/ creative artist-educator will have to work with pupils and teachers of schools in the municipality of Madrid, for which they will be required to speak English and preferably Spanish as well.
The aims and objectives of this call are structured around a single activity:
I. Residency for an artist in the field of Visual Arts at Matadero Madrid
The applicant will undertake a residency at Matadero Madrid from 7 November to 2 December 2016, during which they will be required to run a series of workshops with primary school pupils from schools in the municipality of Madrid.
For this, the beneficiaries of the call will obtain:
• A fee of 1,300 euros provided by Goethe-Institut Madrid, which will be subject to the relevant taxes and amounts withheld and which includes upkeep and subsistence
• Flight ticket Germany-Spain-Germany provided by Goethe-Institut Madrid
• An allowance of up to 1,000 euros for artistic production (including any possible journeys made by pupils) administered by the staff of Goethe-Institut Madrid
• Accommodation provided by Madrid Destino in a flat located in the Arganzuela neighbourhood and a space to work allocated at Matadero Madrid centre itself
The above payments and budgets will be administered by Goethe-Institut Madrid (fee, flight ticket and allowance) and by MADRID DESTINO following the organisation's usual methods of payment.
The technical features of the space available at Matadero Madrid are as follows:
• Access to Matadero Madrid spaces available for holding workshops for pupils from the schools selected
• Use of an area in the Matadero Madrid Lab with access to the internet
• Support provided by a member of the staff specialised in contemporary culture and education, who will coordinate the residency period and workshop production
• Access to Matadero Madrid equipment, by prior arrangement and subject to availability
The successful applicant must abide by internal rules for using the spaces at Matadero Madrid (opening times, safety and security protocols, use of materials, facilities available, etc.).
4. Documentation required and application deadline
To make an application, the following documentation must be submitted:
In English or Spanish:
•Correctly completed application form (see Appendix I).
•Description of the project (minimum 500 words, maximum 1,000 words). The description must include the following information:
1. The age range at which the project is aimed, bearing in mind that in Spain primary education covers from 6 to 12 years of age.
2. Number of students the applicant wishes to carry out the project with, bearing in mind that the average number of students per class in Spain is 25. (Projects which plan to work with 2 classes are particularly welcome).
3. Project plan and timescales, with information such as number of sessions and how long they last (taking into account that the school day runs from 9am to 4pm).
4. Approximate budget and description of the material to be used, which will have to be approved by Goethe-Institut Madrid and Matadero Madrid.
•The applicant's biographical résumé: 500 words.
•If necessary, between 1 and 3 illustrations relating to the project that may consist of pictures or texts (which should be no longer than 500 words each).
•Letter explaining the reasons why the applicant is applying for the residency.
Not withstanding the documentation requested for taking part, in the event that the applicant successfully passes the application process, they will be asked to provide the following:
•Copy of valid passport/ ID card
Participants must also be covered by a basic medical insurance for accident and illness not connected with their activity at the centre where the residency is taking place.
￼￼￼Matadero Madrid or Goethe-Institut Madrid will issue the successful applicant with an invitation letter, but, if necessary, the successful applicant will have to be responsible for obtaining any travel permits required for undertaking the period of residency.
Proposals must be sent only as electronic documents in pdf format to this e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org For videos, links must be provided for them to be viewed over the internet.
Presenting a project does not give participants any rights whatsoever.
All proposals received correctly will be acknowledged.
All documentation must be received by midnight (Madrid local time) on the deadline of 5 September 2016.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: