The International Center for Journalists seeks outstanding applicants for a one-year Knight Fellowship covering the Central Asia region, based in Kazakhstan. The fellow will work with Kazakh state television networks to improve their reporting, news production and management practices, as well as raising skills in data and digital journalism. The Fellow will also conduct training workshops for journalists from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and possibly Uzbekistan. The Fellow may also travel to some or all of those countries for short stints to work with television media there.
Qualifications and Skills
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate strong proficiency in the Russian language (Kazakh is also acceptable)
- Be a TV producer or practitioner with practical experience as a journalist
- Possess experience working for high-quality, international TV networks
- Demonstrate strong ability to write copy and possess experience at cutting/editing copy
- Understand how to apply new technologies, such as data and mobile
- Help stations optimize their content for TV, web and social media to attract new audiences
The Knight Fellow may be from any country, and will be based in Kazakhstan for his or her fellowship. The fellowship duration is 12 months, starting in early 2016.
How to Apply
If you are interested in being a candidate, please apply here and select the fellowship for which you are applying: “Central Asia.” You can direct any questions to: Jeff Mok at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1.202.350.4058.
For more information on the Knight Fellowships, including financial benefits and expenses covered by the fellowship, see our FAQs. We also strongly encourage candidates to view our current projects and fellows to better understand the work of our Knight Fellows.