Sino-Japanese Interactions Through Rare Books
Learn about the role of books in the relationship between the cultures of Japan and China, with this free online course.
Why join the course?
Books have played a major role in the formation of Japan’s culture, particularly those brought from China. On this course we’ll examine how big an impact these books have had, as well as looking at how books and religion are connected in Japan and East Asia, and the history of publishing in Japan.
Understand more about Chinese books, language and culture
Through the course you’ll discover more about the different types of Chinese books, their characteristics and their history. We’ll also look at books with strong Chinese influences and examine the culture of the area of the world that use the Chinese writing system.
Learn about the development of Japanese culture
We’ll then look at how these books made their way to Japan and how Chinese culture influenced Japanese culture. In particular we’ll focus on the Analects of Confucius and how the book has been received in Japan - from its introduction in the 3rd Century to how it’s considered today.
In addition we’ll look at books on Chinese studies from medieval to early modern Japan, how books from China and Korea were studied and disseminated and how the process created new types of book like commentaries and revised editions.
Explore the connection between books and religion in East Asia
You’ll also learn about the connections between publishing and religion - examining the influence of Zen Buddhism on Japanese culture.
What topics will you cover?
- History of textual culture in East Asia and Japan.
- Evolution of printing technology in Japan and its relationship with religion.
- Influence of China and Korea on Japanese book culture.
- Publishing activity by Zen temples in the medieval Japan.
- Publishing activity by scholars in pre-modern Japanese society.
- Publishing activity by local and central governments for education.
- Variety of types of books in Chinese studies.
- Brief introduction of well-known Chinese poem collections: Santishi and Tangshi xuan.
- Analects of Confucius, its reception, transition and influence on Japanese society.