About the program
Within its Joint Excellence in Science and Humanities (JESH) program, the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) solicits proposals for the support of collaborative research projects that reflect novel ideas that are not currently being pursued.
Purpose JESH is a stimulation program of the OeAW offering scientists from selected countries the opportunity to establish new international contacts at the highest level without any restrictions concerning research fields. Incoming scientists will be able to work with outstanding researchers in Austria. The purpose of JESH is to foster collaborative research focused on highly innovative ideas by junior scientists from focus countries for which no standard funding stream is available. We do not expect all JESH projects to succeed, because these should be projects that have high risk, but we are very interested in proposals which, if successful, could have a significant payoff in terms of advancing our knowledge. A further goal is to support work that has the potential, if the initial work is successful, in enabling subsequent funding from other agencies, for example but not limited to the ERC.
What can be financed?
For incoming scientists from research institutions in the respective focus countries research visits in Austria between a minimum of two months (60 calendar days) and a maximum of six months (180 calendar days) can be financed. Other project costs or overheads can not be reimbursed. Continuation of already existing cooperations cannot be funded.
How to apply?
All documents must be submitted in English in PDF format via email to email@example.com. The application must include the following documents:
- Application form for applicant
- Curriculum vitae of the applicant
- List of relevant publications of the applicant
- Project description (5-10 pages) including
- background (status of research),
- specific aims and methodology,
- novelty of the project planned,
- workplan and time schedule,
- breakdown of costs
- Confirmation of affiliation from the employer in the home country
- Host application from
- Statement from the host institution concerning the reasons for the invitation, the scientific potential of the project planned, and plans for the intended cooperation
Please get in contact with your host institute well before submitting your application
Proposal ranking criteria
All applications will be evaluated by (inter)national experts. Special emphasis will be put on the following evaluation criteria:
- Scientific quality of the applicant
- Scientific quality of the host institution and of the host research group in Austria
- Novelty and relevance of the intended research project
- High risk/high payoff of the project planned
- Added value of carrying out the research project (e.g. synergies)
- Potential for follow-on funding and further international cooperation The final decision about the awarding
The final report must be submitted to the OeAW / International Relations by email without separate request at the latest two months after the end of the research visit. A corresponding form is sent to you together with the announcement of the award. The report shall include a comment by the host on the outcome of the project. OeAW Contact Point Austrian Academy of Sciences E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org