Fellowhsip program instructions
To apply for this program, you have to submit at the time of application the Application documents
specified in the table below.
To complete Application Form Part 1 & 2, you have to use the designated forms found on and
downloadable from our website
When asking for an acceptance letter or its equivalent, be sure to send to the proposed supervisor etc.
the designated form of letter downloadable from our website
Set of Application documents
All the Application documents must be typed in English. Any of the Application documents, if hand- written, and/or if written in any other language(s), will not be reviewed.
Please be sure that all the Application documents inclusive of the recommendation letters, the acceptance letter and the medical certificate must be placed in one single packet to send to JAUW (⇒see below for Postal address ).
Applications must arrive by March 31, 2017. Application documents received later than that date will be excluded from the review.
Objective of this Program : To allow promising researchers/graduate students in any field to spend a period of time in residence in a graduate /research institute etc. in Japan
- You are a woman of any nationality but other than Japanese, living outside Japan at the time of
- You have received a Master’s degree or its equivalent, and presently work outside academia, or you are
a student/researcher higher than MA /its equivalent level (typically of pre-doctoral or dissertation level).
Postdoctoral researchers may apply but they may be placed lower in priority.
- You have to find a host university or institution in Japan by yourself, and have to submit, at the time of
application, a Letter of Acceptance from that host or from your prospective supervisor thereof. JAUW
will not extend any help regarding this matter.
- You have to explain in your proposal why you have to come to stay in Japan to pursue your ongoing
study or research.
- You have to state clearly in your proposal how and in what aspect you will contribute to your home
country through your study/ research in Japan.
- Up to two fellowships will be awarded under this Program.
- The amount of grant will range from ¥700,000 to ¥1,000,000 per grantee. The duration of your stay in
Japan and various other factors will be taken into consideration in deciding the total amount of grant.
- This grant is for 5 to 6 months between September 2017 and March 2018, depending on your proposal.
- One third of the total amount will be paid at the time of your arrival in Japan. The rest will normally be
paid within 40 days after the initial payment. However, the latter amount (i.e. two thirds of the total) may be payable in two or three installments, depending on circumstances surrounding the grantee in Japan.
If selected, you must
a) engage in the proposed study/research for which the grant is awarded,
b) submit a written summary report of 500 to 700 words by the end of the funding period,
c) make an oral presentation based on the above report toward the end of the funding period at a
meeting to be held by JAUW
- When forced to change your initial schedule under unforeseen or unavoidable reasons, you have to get a
prior written approval from the JAUW President.
Any serious delay in the official procedure such as a delay in the issuing of your visa, despite no fault on your side, may result in the cancellation of the grant.
- You have to answer the financial aid questionnaire (in Application Form Part 1), related to other fellowship
- You have to give a brief account of the use of this fellowship (e.g.: tuition, accommodation, transportation, living, study and/or research related expenses).
- Applications must be submitted using the official forms, downloaded from JAUW homepage.
- All entries of the Application Forms must be single spaced, and typed in English. The format must be kept as specified in each form.
- Five copies of each of the completed Application Forms (i.e. both part 1 and part 2), and all other Application documents must be sent in one single packet via airmail to:
International Fellowship Committee Japanese Association of University Women 11-6-101 Samoncho, Shinjuku-ku,
WARNING: We do not accept applications by e-mail. Applications sent by e-mail will never be reviewed.
Announcement of Results
The winners of this fellowship will be notified by e-mail in the middle of June, 2017. Toward the end of June in 2017, their names will be made public on the JAUW web-site.
We will send an e-mail notifying the results to all the other applicants by around the end of June 2017.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: