About the Fellowship
In honor of James P. Danky's long service to print culture scholarship, the Center for the History of Print and Digital Culture, in conjunction with the Wisconsin Historical Society, is offering an annual short-term research fellowship.
The Danky Fellowship provides $1000 in funds for one individual planning a trip to carry out research using the collections of the Wisconsin Historical Society (please see details of the collections at http://www.wisconsinhistory.org). Grant money may be used for travel to the WHS, costs of copying pertinent archival resources, and living expenses while pursuing research here. If in residence during the semester, the recipient will be expected to give a presentation as part of the colloquium series of the Center for the History of Print and Digital Culture.
Preference will be given to
- proposals undertaking research in print culture history
- research likely to lead to publication
- researchers early in their career
- researchers from outside Madison
We strongly encourage applicants to speak with Lee Grady, Reference Archivist at the WHS (firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-264-6459) before applying for a grant. Lee may be able to identify potential collections of which you may not otherwise be aware.
There is no application form. Applicants must submit:
1) A cover sheet with name, telephone, permanent address and e-mail, current employer/affiliation, title of project, and proposed dates of residency.
2) A letter of two single-spaced pages maximum describing the project and its relation to specifically cited collections at the society and to previous work on the same theme, and describing the projected outcome of the work, including publication plans. If residents of the Madison area are applying, they must explain their financial need for the stipend.
3) Curriculum vitae.
4) Two confidential letters of reference. Graduate students must include their thesis advisor.
Applications are due on May 1. We are currently accepting applications.
Please email applications to:
Coordinator, Center for the History of Print and Digital Culture
All donations are tax deductible.
Please visit http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/supportus/ to make a donation to the Danky Fellowship. Leave a message in the Comments box to designate your donation for the Danky Fellowship.
You may also write a check (marked "Danky Fellowship") payable to the Wisconsin Historical Foundation and mail it to: Wisconsin Historical Foundation, 816 State Street, Madison, WI 53706-1482 (phone: 608-261-9364).