Potsdam and nearby Berlin are two thrilling and vibrating cities. Their countless cultural offers are waiting to be discovered by you. Moreover Potsdam has - beside numerous parks, castles and lakes - ideal opportunities to explore Germany and even Europe! And if you like it here - how about staying on and studying at the University of Potsdam?
The International Summer Academy "Sans Souci" offers language courses and subjects on an academically advanced level. You can improve your language competence and attend courses to deepen your knowledge of German history and culture within three weeks in August. The focus this year will be on German history, particularly memory/commemoration, present-day Berlin, and European cultural history.
The courses will take place on Campus Neues Palais from Monday to Friday between 9am and 4pm.
What is special?
- You can obtain up to 9 ECTS-credits by attending the International Summer Academy "Sans Souci" depending on the requirements of your home institution.
The courses offered comprise the workload of a regular semester program. It is an excellent opportunity to enjoy your semester break by experiencing the remarkable flair of Potsdam and its prominent university, enhance your language skills and extend your knowledge for your further studies.
What is the result?
- After your successful participation in the courses and the final exam in your chosen subjects, you will receive a certificate with your final grade and the ECTS credits from Potsdam University.
When the three weeks are over, you will leave Potsdam with the good feeling to have used your holiday properly by pushing your studies and at the same time broadening your horizon by living in a foreign country.
The course details
Course period: 2 - 27 August 2016
- 2 August 2016 - Tuesday
- Arrival: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. at the course office
- Check-in and key hand out for dorm rooms
- payment for the bedding
- 3 August 2016 - Wednesday
- Course Opening - Introducing to the ISAS 2016
- Placement Test
- begin of the classes
- 26 August 2016 - Friday
- End of classes & Certificates
- 27 August 2016 - Saturday
- Check out dorm rooms until 11 a.m. & Departure
The International Summer Academy Sans Souci is composed of two components: First, the main focus is on learning German as a foreign language, including teaching German as well as practical phonetics. On the other hand, seminars and projects depending on your choice are part of the weekly program.
- German as a foreign language
- 22 lessons on level B and C
- 10 lessons practical Phonetics
- altogether 32 lessons
- Seminars and projects
- the topics cover history, literature, and politics - Detailed course description you will find here.
- each with 6 lessons per week
- you select two seminars and one project
- the total each week: 26 lessons
- German as a foreign language
The university-level courses are meant for everyone who wants improve his/her German language skills and/or explore various subject areas in more depth. German classes can be taken B and C level. Content courses will also be taught in German. Participants are expected to fulfill the standard requirements, e.g. regular attendance and thorough preparation of assignments (presentations, reports, etc.). Support and counseling are offered by our program manager and staff, all prepared to help you make the best of the program.
The following cultural highlights are included in the course fee:
- Excursions which are relevant with regard to the course material and which will be integrated, as agreed with the lecturers, in the seminars' or projects' schedule;
- Excursions to introduce you to historical and cultural highlights or our region, which will help you getting to know Brandenburg a little better.
The excursions belonging to the seminars or projects will be announced along with the seminar schedule at the beginning of the course. These excursions will deepen the knowledge you gained in the seminars and should help you to better understand the subjects discussed in class by providing a "hand-on" experience of the places you heard about in class.
External excursions in Potsdam, Berlin, and their surroundings will be designed for everyone and therefore, they will be planned to take place on days when there are no classes.
- These excursions are:
- a Potsdam City Tour including a visit of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Park Sanssouci,
- a Berlin City Tour focusing on Berlin's central district and its change in time,
- two interregional day trips on two different weekends,
- as well as a Welcome and Farewell Party in a students' pub in the center of Potsdam including a buffet.
As a participant of the International Summer Academy "Sans Souci", you can get a room at a student dormitory close to campus. You live in a single room for 260 Euro. (The accommodation costs are not included in the course fee!)
- The dormitory costs include:
- access to the internet
- final cleaning fee
- personal service of the course office staff.
Additionally, for 20.00 Euro, you can order bedding including a bed sheet, pillow, and blanket. You will pay this at the course office on the arrival day or together with the course fee. Please note, that you will need bedclothes for the blanket and pillow.
Check in & out
Please note, that the day of arrival to the course is the first day you can check into your dorm room. Therefore, you will have to pick up the key to your room at the course office on the arrival day between 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. On the day of departure, the check out will be until 11 a.m. Please book your tickets accordingly.
Of course, if you do not like to stay at a dormitory room, you can look for a place to stay yourself.Here you will find helpful information and advices.
- 150 Euro - Registration fee
- The registration fee is due after your registration. You will get an invoice via email with our bank information. As soon as your payment is received, your participation is finalized.
- 470 Euro - Course fee
- The course fee has to be paid prior the course start. You will get an extra invoice. Please note, that the course fee does not include the cost for accommodation!
620 Euro - total amount (excluding accommodation)
- 260 Euro - accommodation in a dormitory
- As a participant of our course you can get a dormitory room at the student service Potsdam. Just choose the option "a dormitory room at the student service" in the online registration.
- You pay the cost for accommodation and the course fee together.
- Please note that you can order bedding (a blanket, a pillow, and a sheet). This package costs 20 Euro.
The following services are included in the course fee:
- All courses including course material and excursions*
- Discount on meal tickets at the dinning halls
- Discount on scientific and cultural centers in Potsdam and Berlin
- The entire cultural program*
* Bitte beachten Sie, dass Sie zusätzlich ein Ticket für den Öffentlichen Nahverkehr brauchen. Da Sie auch während der Seminare und Projektkurse Exkursionen in Potsdam und nach Berlin unternehmen werden, sollten Sie sich direkt nach Ihrer Ankunft in Deutschland ein Berlin ABC Monatsticket für den August kaufen. Wir können leider keine Transferkosten innerhalb Potsdams und auch nicht nach Berlin übernehmen. Für Exkursionen außerhalb von Potsdam und Berlin übernehmen wir die Transferkosten ab den Treffpunkten.
All courses of the International Summer Academy Sans Souci's program will take place at the campus New Palace due to its historical ambience located right by the actual castle New Palace built in 1769 in the west of the Park Sanssouci.
Here, you will also find our course office and all important contacts. Very conveniently, you can reach the campus of the New Palace as well as the course office by using public transportation. Starting at Potsdam Main Station, you can take the following buses:
- Bus 605 - in the direction of the Wissenschaftspark Golm
- Bus 606 - in the direction of Alt-Golm
- Bus 695 - in the direction of Pirschheide
You can either stop at the "Neues Palais" or at "Campus Universität/ Lindenallee". Here, you will find a map of the building on campus.
In order to get permission to stay in Germany, you will have to get a visa document valid for the time of your stay and you will have to be able to provide written proof of your insurance. More information about insurance & visa can be found here.
Please also note our information on tickets for the public transport (buses and trains).
Do you think that the International Summer Academy Sans Souci is the right summer course for you?
To finalize your registration please transfer the registration fee of 150 Euro as requested in the invoice we sent you with the confirmation of your registration.
After your registration and the fee have been processed, you will get the confirmation and detailed information about your stay here in Potsdam. Please note that you have to transfer the course fee of 470 Euro only after you received our confirmation.
Please note, that we do not repay the registration fee when you do not participate in the course.
We are already looking forward to meeting you!
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: