About the Program
Launched in 2009, the International Fellowship Programme offers scholars from around the world the opportunity to spend one to three months on a research residency at the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin.
The programme supports research projects that bear direct relation to the diverse institutions and rich collections of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin. It aims to strengthen the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin’s position within the international scholarly network and is therefore aimed specifically at foreign scholars who do not reside in Germany. The programme especially promotes young researchers. The fellowships allow researchers to work on their project and make professional contacts at the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin. As a result, they also get to participate in the scholarly and cultural life within the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin and Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz.
1. Objective of the Grant-Program
The International Scholarship Program enables scholars from all over the world to undertake one- to three-month research residencies at the institutions of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin − Preußischer Kulturbesitz. Funding is available for various research projects related to the multifaceted institutions of the SMB. The program aims to strengthen the international network of the SMB and therefore addresses foreign researchers. In addition, the promotion of young researchers is of particular concern to the SMB. The grants are intended to enable scientists to work on their own research project at the SMB, make professional contacts and participate in the academic and cultural life of the SMB.
- The application deadlines are as follows June 30th for the first half of the following year
- December 31st for the second half of the following year.
The following application documents must be submitted in one single pdf-file:
• a completed application form (see separate annex),
• a tabular curriculum vitae,
• two letters of recommendation by university teachers concerning the candidate’s academic qualification (only for graduates / doctoral-candidates),
• a list of publications,
• copies of college/university diplomas and of certificates indicating the conferral of academic degrees,
• a detailed exposition of the project with statements concerning the overall aim, method and the preparatory work already achieved.
Please do not use any kind of paper-fastener or retaining clips. The application shall be send via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or as written application to the following address:
Staatliche Museen zu Berlin
- Der Generaldirektor –
D – 10785 Berlin
3. Prerequisites for Application
Graduate scholars, postgraduates and doctoral candidates as well as post-docs and professors who do not have their residence in Germany are eligible for application. The applicants must hold at least a first university degree (M.A. or equivalent degree) at the time of application.
4. Duration of the grant
The time period of the grant one may apply for ranges from one to three months.
5. Amounts of Monthly Grants
a. Graduate and/or doctoral-candidate grants for persons with a first university degree: 900 Euros per month.
b. Post-doctoral research grants for persons holding a doctorate or comparable qualification: 1,200 Euros per month.
In addition, a one-off allowance for travelling from and to Berlin once of up to 500 Euros may be granted upon presentation of the appropriate proofs.
6. Selection Procedure
The selection of applications will be made in the Directorate General of the SMB, based on the submitted documents and the judgement by the responsible collection curator. The academic quality of the project, its significance for a given field of research and the academic qualifications of the applicant are decisive.
7. Obligations of the Grant Holders
During their stay in Berlin, the grant holders are obliged to
• concentrate their efforts on the research project described in the application,
• immediately inform the Director of the respective institution of the SMB if the research project being funded cannot be carried out as planned,
• not accept any remunerated work or employment during the scholarship residency,
• submit a written report on the results and experiences upon termination of the scholarship (approx. 1-2 pages),
• present - if the results of the project are published - a copy of the publication to the Kunstbibliothek and inform the Directorate General (GDI1) about this publication.
8. Obligations of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz
The hosting institution of the SMB is obliged to
• provide the grant holder with a place to work,
• guarantee academic supervision,
• help in making necessary contacts with other researchers and facilities in Berlin and in Germany,
• submit a written report on the results and experiences upon termination of the scholarship for internal evaluation (to GDI1).
To APPLY click "Further official information" below
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: