About the Program
Launched in 2009, the International Fellowship Programme offers scholars from around the world the opportunity to spend one to three months on a research residency at the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin.
The programme supports research projects that bear direct relation to the diverse institutions and rich collections of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin. It aims to strengthen the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin’s position within the international scholarly network and is therefore aimed specifically at foreign scholars who do not reside in Germany. The programme especially promotes young researchers. The fellowships allow researchers to work on their project and make professional contacts at the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin. As a result, they also get to participate in the scholarly and cultural life within the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin and Stiftung Preussischer Kulturbesitz.
6. Selection Procedure
The selection of applications will be made in the Directorate General of the SMB, based on the submitted documents and the judgement by the responsible collection curator. The academic quality of the project, its significance for a given field of research and the academic qualifications of the applicant are decisive.
7. Obligations of the Grant Holders
During their stay in Berlin, the grant holders are obliged to
• concentrate their efforts on the research project described in the application,
• immediately inform the Director of the respective institution of the SMB if the research project being funded cannot be carried out as planned,
• not accept any remunerated work or employment during the scholarship residency,
• submit a written report on the results and experiences upon termination of the scholarship (approx. 1-2 pages),
• present - if the results of the project are published - a copy of the publication to the Kunstbibliothek and inform the Directorate General (GDI1) about this publication.
8. Obligations of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin – Preußischer Kulturbesitz
The hosting institution of the SMB is obliged to
• provide the grant holder with a place to work,
• guarantee academic supervision,
• help in making necessary contacts with other researchers and facilities in Berlin and in Germany,
• submit a written report on the results and experiences upon termination of the scholarship for internal evaluation (to GDI1).
To APPLY click "Further official information" below