About the contest
The Head On Photo Awards represent a global selection of the best work from emerging and established photographers across four categories; Portrait, Landscape, Mobile and Student.
Head On Photo Festival, one of the worldâ€™s most prestigious photo festivals is calling for photographers to submit work to the Head On Photo Awards 2017.
The Head On Portrait, Landscape and Mobile prizes are open INTERNATIONALLY to professional, emerging and enthusiast photographers from classical to contemporary styles and the Head On Student Prize is open to Australia™s young photographers (school years K-12).
DEADLINE: Sunday 26 February 2017, 11pm (Sydney time)
Our anonymous judging ensures each work is selected solely on its merit rather than the celebrity of the photographer.
Over the past 13 years, Head On Photo Festival has awarded over $500,000 in cash and products to the winning photographers.
The total 2017 prize pool is valued at over $50,000 including $20,000 in cash.
Finalists will be exhibited at the Museum of Sydney (Portrait, Mobile, Student) or the NSW Parliament (Landscape) at no additional cost, as part of the Head On Photo Festival in May 2017.
Full details of prize packages will be announced shortly.
- Alexander Strecker
Managing Editor, Lensculture
- Anni Payne
AIPP Master Photographer, judge and mentor
- Dr Daniel Mudie Cunningham
Assistant Director & Head Curator, Artbank
- Dean Sewell
Award winning photographer & Oculi Founding Member
- Isobel Parker Philip
Photography Curator, Art Gallery of NSW
- Maggie Steber
Photographer (Nat Geo, New York Times) & educator
- Moshe Rosenzveig
Creative Director, Head On Photo Festival
- Natan Dvir
Photographer & Teacher at ICP New York
- Rach Kirsten
Creative Arts Advisor, NSW Department of Education
- Robin Schwartz
Photographer & Guggenheim Fellow 2016
- Prof. Ross Harley
Dean Art & Design, University of New South Wales
- Shoair Mavlian
Curator, TATE Modern
- Simon Harsent
Photographer & POOL Collective Founde
Finalists will be exhibited at the Museum of Sydney (Head On Portrait, Mobile and Student Prizes) or the NSW Parliament (Head On Landscape Prize) at no additional cost to the artists as part of the Head On Photo Festival, one of the worldâ€™s leading photo festivals. The exhibitions may tour to major festivals internationally including; Photoville (New York), Indian Photo Festival Hyderabad, Auckland Festival of Photography.
Finalists also recieve:
- A chance to win one of the prize packages! Combined value of packages in cash and product over $50,000
- A place in one of the most-widely visited exhibitions as part of Head On Photo Festival, one of the world's leading photo festivals which attracts extensive publicity through a variety of promotional channels
- Promotion of the exhibitions through Head On Photo Festival mailing list, website, social media and a variety of other channels as well as a contracted PR agency
- A fully produced exhibition - all costs associated with production and marketing of the Head On Photo Awards are covered by Head On Photo Festival
- A review of the images by Getty Images creative team who may invite selected photographers to contribute to Getty Images or iStock by Getty Images
Entry and deadline
Entry deadline is Sunday 26 February 2017, 11pm (Sydney time)
Entry fee - members
Portrait/Landscape/Mobile: AUD$25 (approximately US$19)
Entry fee - non-members
Portrait/Landscape/Mobile: AUD$30 (approximately US$23)
Your entry can be taken using any photographic device (except for the Head On Mobile Prize for which you are required to have used a mobile device).
Your entry image should be saved as:
- jpg or jpeg file formats only
- 2400px (long edge)
- Level 8 jpg compression
- No watermarks
Terms and conditions
- The Awards are open internationally except for the Student category which is only open to Australian K-12 students.
- Work entered can have been taken at any time.
- Copyright in the images remains the property of the photographer.
- 3 winners per category will be awarded prizes.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: