Visiting Artist Program
The Harvard University South Asia Institute’s Arts Program serves as a resource across all disciplines to explore critical issues in South Asia through the lens of art and design. The program welcomes applications from emerging and mid-career artists in South Asia to come to Harvard University to participate in interdisciplinary discourse with students and faculty on global issues relevant to South Asia.
Four artists will be selected each academic year for a two-month residency at Harvard University in Cambridge, MA (two artists will arrive in the fall and the other two artists will arrive in the spring). While our visiting artists are on campus, SAI will support events and exhibits organized in collaboration with specific departments and faculty that align with undergraduate course-content at Harvard. Each visiting artist will be required to have an open studio exhibition, where the artist will present a work in progress or completed project. Furthermore, the artist should be prepared to give an artist’s talk about their practice.
Each artist will receive $1,000 USD of discretionary funds (not accounting regional taxes) after their visit. This modest discretionary fund is meant to cover the artist’s exhibit-related costs and cultural excursions in the New England area. The costs of each artist’s economy travel, accommodation for the residency, and meals will be provided.
- Complete the online application
- Resume/CV: Your resume/CV should list your previous exhibitions, residencies, professional training programs, and related experiences.
- Written Personal Statement: In no more than two pages, this personal statement should describe your preliminary proposal and how it will benefit from being hosted by the SAI and Harvard. Please list in as much detail as possible which resources, departments, and faculty at Harvard would be pertinent to your research. Also, please state whether you would be drawing on the collections of the Harvard Art Museums.
- Work Portfolio: Samples of work may be submitted to SAI, and should consist of no more than 25 images, 15 minutes of video, and/or 15 pages of text, or whatever format best represents your work.
- Two Recommendation Letters: You will be requested to find two references to write letters of recommendation on your behalf. One letter must be from a senior professional involved in art or a practicing artist. Their letters should address the following questions (as well as any other relevant information): (1) How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant? and (2) Assess the candidate’s qualification’s and previous achievements, and evaluate the potential impact/contribution of their project. Recommendation letters should be emailed directly by your references to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline, with “Visiting Artist Program Recommendation” and the applicant’s name in the subject line.
For more information please click "Further Official Information" below.