In its Fifth Edition and four categories, the Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum International Photography Award (HIPA) continues to be a magnet for thousands of innovative photographers from around the world. Newcomers will take up the challenge and seek to bring the Awards to new heights. They will lead the eyes of millions of spectators on a quest for beauty and truth, touching their souls with tales of reality and charm.
The four categories selected for this year’s edition of the Award are bound to inspire participants into a journey that fathoms the nature of man in unseen details and explores the subtleties of our daily lives, to capture unique and outstanding moments in time.
Changes introduced this year seek to strike a balance between the general requirements and the needs of the innovative photographer who knows how to manipulate the lens and make it deliver reality in the manner, moods and impressions he or she seeks. There is no limit to what marvels the imagination and passion of a creative photographer could capture in the world of people seeking happiness, with the images toned by the photographers own culture, conceptions and reflections. Accordingly, this year’s main theme for the Award is "happiness" – the main pursuit of all humanity.
We continue with our tradition of encouraging innovative photographers to let go of any inhibitions and let their creativity freely guide their lenses to capture whatever goes in their minds. We strongly believe that artists and innovators should have the liberty to express themselves in their distinctive and individual manners.
The “wildlife” category is our gift for adventure seekers among the participants; those who thrive on capturing hard-to-get instances that cannot be repeated, to deliver the excitement and thrill of wildlife whether on land, in the air or sea. We recognise that wildlife is so rich and still holds many secrets, and that behind every secret revealed by the eye of a keen photographer there is an exciting story.
Finally, we touch upon one of the most beautiful and intriguing bonds in human life; one that a philosophical dimension and an element of immortality: the relationship between father and son. It is an area that has seldom been explored by photographers despite the rich heritage of expressions, meanings and messages it holds. The “father and son” category will now open the door for promising discoveries.
This concludes this edition’s categories, through which we seek to trigger the senses and imagination of photographers to produce excellent work that is aligned with their goals and ours in terms of promoting the art of photography around the world.
PHOTOGRAPHY APPRECIATION AWARD (PERSONAL, GROUP OR TEAM AWARD)*
There are many passionate people within the photography industry who are dedicated and relentless in their pursuit for excellence. These people offer their services and expertise without expecting a return on their efforts and therefore form a vital part of the photographic community.
The ‘Photography Appreciation Award’ is a special category for a person or group who has shown long-standing commitment to enhancing the art of photography. By awarding the recipient, HIPA hopes to give back a small amount of the respect and appreciation they deserve.
PHOTOGRAPHIC RESEARCH/REPORT AWARD*
Research requires an unprecedented commitment of time and effort towards a particular field of study. It is invaluable in helping mankind create the future and advance knowledge and capabilities.
The Hamdan International Photography Award aims to enhance the ever-developing research field within photography by introducing the ‘Photographic Research/Report Award’.
The Award will celebrate research that reflects excellence in the field of photography. This strengthens the strategic goal of the award, which to develop the art of photography for the entire photographic community.
*Participants may enter these two special awards by invitation only.
On any given day, as humans we feel a variety of emotions, but one of the most beautiful and heart-warming emotions we can feel, is happiness. This eternal search for happiness has inspired humankind to embark, not only on incredible life journeys, but experience great life moments. It takes a keen photographer’s eye to capture these secret moments of happiness.
A category for the adventurer at heart, wildlife photography captures all creatures great and small roaming free within their natural habitat. Photographers are invited to take us on a journey of discovery into the wild, and intrigue us with a rare insight into life within the animal kingdom.
FATHER AND SON
No bond compares to the bonds we have within our families; and no bond is greater than that which we share with our parents. We invite photographers to celebrate and capture what’s at the heart of the relationship a father holds with his son. A son has a unique relationship with his father, constantly aspiring to grow and be nurtured under his wing, to one day step out into the world and be the man he always saw, when he looked into his father’s eyes; Truly the makings of an awe-inspiring photograph.
A category as broad as ‘General’ can be mistaken for lacking inspiration for a photographer, but for a true artist it’s all the direction they need. A photographer sees great compositions around every corner, whether it be walking down the street, driving a car, enjoying lunch in a restaurant, or just relaxing at home. It’s for this very reason that photographer’s best friend will always be their beloved camera; because you never know when inspiration will strike you next.
GRAND PRIZE $120,000
"FATHER AND SON" CATEGORY
Please read these rules (the Rules) before submitting your photo(s) [the Photo(s)] to HIPA's 5th season's Competition "Happiness" (the Competition). By participating in the Competition, you (You/ Your/ the Participant) understand, acknowledge and fully, irrevocably and unconditionally agree to abide and be bound by the following Rules:
- The Competition is open for online submissions only (the Submissions), through the Competition Online Registration page available on www.hipa.ae.
- Submissions will be accepted from 00:01 on 21 March 2015 until 24:00 on 31st December 2015, UAE local time, (i.e. GMT +4). No Submissions made after the closing time will be accepted.
- Participants must be individuals aged eighteen (18) years and over at the time of their Submission(s).
- You hereby certify that you are eighteen (18) years old or older at the date of submitting your Photo(s) to the Competition. You further understand and agree that HIPA will automatically and without further notice discard any Photo(s) that are found to be submitted by a Participant that is below eighteen (18) years old at the time of its Submission.
- You may submit up to one (1) Photo in each category of the Competition. You must provide one (1) title for each Photo.
- The same Photo must not be submitted in more than One (1) category. Any Photo submitted in more than one (1) category will be, subject to HIPA discretion, and without further notice, discarded from either a category or the entire Competition.
- Submitted Photo(s) must be in JPEG format, with high quality and resolution, of a minimum 2 MB in size and suitable for publication.
- Black and white Photos are permitted in all the categories of the Competition.
- All submitted Photos must not contain any tag(s), signature(s), initial(s), frame, border(s), logo(s) or any other references and/or marks added by the Participant. Basic technical editing of the Photo(s) is acceptable, provided any such editing does not affect the authenticity and/or genuineness of the Photo(s). Advanced editing used to create illusions, deceptions and/or manipulations, including compositing and creative retouching of the Photo(s) is prohibited. HIPA preserves the right to assess and discard from the Competition any submitted Photo(s) deemed, at HIPA's own discretion, contrary to the foregoing.
- Photos that portray or otherwise include inappropriate and/or offensive contents, including nudity, violence and/or any other contents deemed to be contrary to the UAE religious, cultural and/or public morals traditions and practices will be disqualified.
- Photo(s) that have won any previous award(s), whether in any HIPA prior competition(s), or in any other competition(s) whatsoever and announced before 31st December 2015, and/or Photos that have been previously used, or are intended to be used, for any kind of commercial purposes, must not be submitted. Any Photo(s) submitted in contrary to the foregoing will be automatically and without further notice discarded from the entire Competition.
- For the shortlisted photographs, the Award has the right to ask for the original/RAW file. All the shortlisted should submit the original photographs in maximum 7 days. Otherwise, the photograph will be disqualified from the competition.
- HIPA's appointed judging panel shall assess and determine the winning Photos. The results, prizes and the winners will be announced in a public ceremony that will be held on March 2016.
- The winner(s) will be contacted by HIPA and must provide HIPA with their bank account details and personal details within 7 days from HIPA's request. The cash money prize(s) will be received by each winner within a period of two (2) months following the announcement of the Competition's results.
- HIPA judging panel have the right, at its absolute discretion, to turn down or reject any Photo(s) or Submission(s) without having to give any notice or explanation to the relevant Participant.
- Any federal, state/ provincial/ territorial, and/or local taxes, fees and surcharges and taxes (whether foreign or domestic, and including income tax) on any prize that may be awarded to You under the Competition will be solely paid by You.
- The decision of HIPA's judging panel is final and binding on all Participants in respect to all matters relating to the Competition.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
- Submitted Photo(s) must be a single work of original material created and/or taken by You, must not contain any materials owned or controlled by a third party for which You have not obtained a license, must not infringe the copyright, trademark, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity.
- Upon making Your Submission, You grant HIPA, a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty free, sub-licensable right and license to use, publish, reproduce, display, perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works, distribute, have distributed, print, promote Your submitted Photo(s), in whole or in part, in any form, in all media forms now or hereafter known, anywhere in the world for any purpose, related to the Competition, the publication in HIPA promotional digital and/or printed materials and formats broadcast such as on HIPA magazines, printed leaflet and brochures, HIPA website and/or through other public online feeds, promoting subsequent competitions and/or the work of HIPA generally.
- You must obtain, solely bear the cost for, and provide HIPA within seven (7) calendar days of any request to do so by HIPA, with any or all of the following:
- A signed written consent, release and/or permission of each and every identifiable individual person(s) appearing in Your submitted Photo(s), clearly authorizing You to use their picture or likeness for submitting the Photo(s) in the manner contemplated by the Competition, and authorizing HIPA to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry(s) for all purposes, in any media now or hereafter known.Please click here to download the draft of the Model Release Form.
- A signed written license from the copyright owner of any sculpture, artwork, or other copyrighted material that appears in Your submitted Photo(s), authorizing HIPA to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the relevant entry(s) for all purposes, in any media now or hereafter known; and/or
- A signed written license from the owner of any private property included in Your submitted Photo (s), authorizing HIPA to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the relevant entry(s) for all purposes, in any media now or hereafter known.
- If You have been announced as a winner of the Competition (in any category), You grant to HIPA, a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty free, sub-licensable right and license to use, publish, reproduce, display, perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works, distribute, have distributed, promote Your winning Photo(s), in whole or in part, in any form, in all media forms now or hereafter known, anywhere in the world and for any purpose, including but not limited to: display at a potential exhibition of winners, publication of a book featuring select entries in the Competition, publication in HIPA materials and/or online highlighting entries or winners of the Competition, and promoting the work of HIPA generally.
- You hereby hold harmless, release, indemnify and discharge HIPA and its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers and representatives from all liability, claims, judgments, demands, controversies, agreements, damages, actions and causes of action whatsoever, arising out of or related in any way to the Competition or the conduct of the Competition and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded, whether in law or in equity, no matter what the cause or nature, and You further waive any claims that You may state or assert against HIPA in association with the Competition or any of its associated activities, or in any way related to or resulting from the Competition even if such injury or claims results from or is caused by the negligence or gross negligence of HIPA, in whole or in part. You further agree to indemnify and hold harmless HIPA from any claim arising out of Your participation in the Competition including, without limitation, all claims brought or asserted by any third party as a result of any injury or loss that You or they may sustain in any way associated with Your participation in the Competition.
- If HIPA, at its sole discretion, is of the opinion that You have breached any of the Rules, HIPA has the right to disqualify You from the Competition, and in such circumstances You must re-pay to HIPA all costs undertaken by HIPA in relation to Your Submission(s) and participation in the Competition and the awards ceremony, including but not limited to (if and to the extent applicable) any travel costs incurred by HIPA, and re-pay the Competition prize money and return any trophies or certificates at Your own cost to HIPA.
- Under no circumstance HIPA will be liable for any:
- lost, late, misdirected, stolen, illegible or incomplete Submissions
- error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, submitted Photo(s);
- problems, failures or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, providers, computer equipment, software, email, players or browsers, on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet, at any website, or on account of any combination of the foregoing;
- incorrect or inaccurate information, caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of the Photos and/or the Submissions; and/or
- injury or damage to any Participant or to any computer related to, resulting from or in connection with the Competition.
- If, for any reason, the Competition is not capable of being conducted as anticipated, due to computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of HIPA, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Competition, HIPA reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition as deemed appropriate, disqualify any Participant, and/or select winners from all eligible Photos submitted prior to the termination, cancellation, modification or suspension. HIPA reserves the right to correct any typo-graphical, printing, computer programming or operating errors at any time.
The Competition, Your Submission(s) and the Rules shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Emirate of Dubai and the applicable federal laws of the United Arab Emirates, and any aspects or disputes arising out of or in connection with the Competition and/or Your Submission(s) will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Dubai courts.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: