Film Africa is looking for emerging contemporary artists with style and vision to create the Film Africa 2016 festival publicity design. A jury of industry experts will select three artworks that will then be entered into a social media competition – Film Africa fans will vote for their favourite and the winning artwork will then be used across festival publicity materials, including our brochure and official festival poster. Film Africa 2016 will take place in venues across London from 28 October to 6 November.
Both amateur and professional artists from anywhere in the world are welcome to submit and we accept all 2D media including drawing, painting, print, illustration, collage, mixed media and photography. We welcome artworks from all and encourage artists of African heritage to apply.
- Create an eye-catching image that will stand out amid an array of leaflets and brochures in displays across London and on the walls of Film Africa venues.
- We’re looking for a conceptual image. While there’s no need to be overly literal, the artwork should express a sense of modern Africa and of cinema. The rest is up to you.
- Take the Film Africa logo into account, it will overlay the image. It should not be overpowered but clearly visible and incorporated into the design (view last year’s cover image by downloading the brochure to the right).
- The artwork must be landscape, in order to fit the standard film poster layout and brochure design.
- The artwork cannot display anything that would not be suitable for people of all ages.
All three shortlisted artists
- The competition and all three artworks will be posted regularly to the Film Africa Facebook page (4,000 likes approx.) and
- Twitter account (6,500 followers approx.). Our marketing team will develop a social media strategy and will be targeting art venues and galleries across London, presenting an ideal opportunity for exposure in the right places. We will encourage the competition to go viral.
- Competition and all three artworks will be prominently displayed on the Film Africa website in the lead up to and during the festival.
- A page within the Film Africa brochure will introduce the competition and display all three artworks, along with details of each artist (including contact email and website if desired).
- An invite to the Film Africa Opening Gala and party at the Picturehouse Central on Friday 28 October (we cannot cover travel or accommodation).
Terms & Conditions
- The artist has copyright of the image and can use it for their own means without the Film Africa logo after completion of the festival on 6 November 2016.
- Film Africa reserves the right to refuse inclusion in the competition and subsequent publication of artwork if it is unsuitable or does not fit the brief.
- Please note that, due to the high volume of entries, we will only contact shortlisted artists.
Please submit your artwork as a high-res image (e.g. JPEG, TIFF, PNG files) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline is Tuesday 16 August 2016. Please contact us by email if you have any queries about the competition.