Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is pleased to announce its paid Internship Program. Interns gain practical work experience and support the work of our Communications, Development, Program, Human Resources (both for the field and the office), and Executive departments. Interns also gain a basic introduction to the field of international medical humanitarian aid and advocacy. All internships will take place in our New York office and will be paid at the rate of $10.00 per hour.
If applying to more than one internship position, please send a separate application for each position. You can find application form by clicking the original link.
- This is a competitive program. Candidates will be selected on a merit basis.
- Due to high volume of applications, only successful candidates will be contacted after the application deadline.
- Internship applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Candidates may apply for more than one term, but will only be contacted regarding the most current term.
- International candidates are responsible for securing their U.S. work permit. If your CV indicates that you are not based in New York, please make sure to explicitly note in your cover letter that you will be available to move to New York City for the duration of the internship, if applicable.
- All candidates are responsible for their own accommodation (and relocation, if applicable) in New York City. If your CV indicates that you are not based in New York, please make sure to explicitly note in your cover letter that you will be available to move to New York City for the duration of the internship, if applicable.
- No calls or e-mails please regarding application status.
In addition to paid internships, Doctors Without Borders participates in work/study programs for those who qualify.
Reports to: Public Events Officer
Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months–4 months (depending on term)
Location: New York City
Objective: To provide support to the Public Events staff while offering a practical learning experience to someone interested in public events, marketing, and recruitment.
Overview: The Communications Department of Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières works to expand awareness of the humanitarian crises and endemic health problems in developing countries that our medical teams address in the field. Public awareness is built through three primary means: active and reactive presswork; publications produced in-house, including our quarterly newsletter and website; and public events activities such as interactive exhibits, speaking events, film screenings, and conferences, and the creation and distribution of teaching tools.
The Public Events Intern will have a role in planning and preparing the department's public exhibits, speaking events, and recruitment activities, including national and regional medical conferences. This is a hands-on position, offering the opportunity to become familiar with the tools through which MSF communicates its message to the general public. The ideal candidate will contribute creatively to new and ongoing projects, while providing logistical and administrative support to the Public Events team.
An undergraduate or graduate student with an interest in event planning, marketing, research, or exhibit design would be best suited for this position.
The Public Events Intern will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Project-based planning, including research into outreach to target audiences, preparation and logistical support of public events and exhibits, and coordinating materials for speaking events, conferences, and other exhibits (70%).
- Fulfillment of orders for educational tools and information processed through the New York office (10%).
- Administrative support to Public Events Officer and Associate (20%).
- Strong interest in event planning, exhibitions, marketing, or public education.
- Research experience and good written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in event planning a plus.
- Above average computer literacy preferred, with an emphasis on Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
For more information click "Further official information" below.
This opportunity has expired. It was originally published here: