Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is pleased to announce its paid Internship Program. Interns gain practical work experience and support the work of our Communications, Development, Program, Human Resources (both for the field and the office), and Executive departments. Interns also gain a basic introduction to the field of international medical humanitarian aid and advocacy. All internships will take place in our New York office and will be paid at the rate of $10.00 per hour.
Type of position: Intern, paid
Time Commitment: 20 hrs/week
Duration: 3 months–4 months (depending on term)
Location: New York City
Objective: To support Doctors Without Borders editorial team while providing a practical learning experience, including the potential to publish writing and multimedia in print and online publications, to an individual interested in communications and publications for an international nonprofit organization.
Overview: The Communications Department of Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) works to expand awareness of humanitarian crises and endemic health problems that medical teams address around the world. Public awareness is built through: active and reactive presswork; publications produced in-house, including a quarterly newsletter, website, and weekly podcast; pushing multimedia through social networking sites; and public education activities such as interactive exhibits, speaking events, screenings, and the creation and distribution of teaching tools and curriculums.
The editorial and multimedia intern will assist in all phases of the preparation of MSF’s print and online publications. This is a hands-on position, offering the opportunity to actively improve tools through which MSF communicates its message to US general public. The ideal candidate will contribute creatively to new and ongoing projects. An undergraduate or graduate student with an interest in journalism, multimedia, publishing, non-profit communications, and/or international affairs would be best suited for this position.
Duties include some or all of the following based on current needs:
- Proofread and edit documents applying stylesheet to ensure content quality.
- Research photographs from international photo database for use in MSF publications.
- Transcribing interviews for publications and website.
- Basic editing of audio and/or video files.
- Building slideshows for website and social networking sites.
- Administrative support to Editorial Director, Digital Content Editor, and Associate Editor.
- Organization and upkeep of A/V equipment, print publications, and digital files.
- Possibility of writing for print and online publications.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Strong interest in communications or journalism.
- Strong interest in multimedia.
- Proficiency in writing and Internet research.
- Undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate experience in journalism or nonprofit communications.
- Please provide examples of published writing and/or multimedia projects and references.
- Working knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Above-average computer literacy.
- Skills in Adobe CS, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Audition, or other audio editing program.
- French and/or Spanish language skills.
For more information click "Further official information" below.